Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Old Stock, in the box; why? "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I found this several years ago. It was like new in the box. I wondered why no one used it?

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
The watch was a special order for members of the Foresters of America. This is what I found on-line about this organization:

"1884-1960. The Foresters of America (F of A) was an American fraternal and benevolent organization that supported its membership with medical assistance, weekly sick benefits, burial benefits and support during times of unemployment or hardship."

Posts: 1983 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
As for why it was un-used in the box? It was defective. One of the wheel teeth was slightly bent when it was manufactured. So it was jammed from day one. The repair was easy enough, now it's like new, unused and it works. Not bad for such an old watch.

As for the age, I'm not entirely sure when it was made. It is a "jeweled" Ingersoll which seems a little out of place for "the watch that made the dollar famous." My guess is around 1930? The serial number lookup service suggested dates which seemed a little too old for this watch. Any Ingersoll experts care to provide some insight?

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Glad you were able to fix it - nice save!

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1555
posted
Have you checked how many Jewels Greg? Possibly only 4 by the looks, if that pallet & roller table are not jewelled, can you advise if they are?

The earliest adverts I have seen for a jeweled Ingersoll was apporoximately 1916, but I do not follow them closely enough to know if there are any earlier ads out thereSmile

That one of yours going by it's serial number is probably somewhere around 1920-1924 approximately at best guess.

Cheers,
Bila

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011