Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What are the best watch sites for cell phones? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Greetings all.
Recently, I've joined the world of the smart phone. It was tough to let go of the ol' flip phone, but it had to be done. Since I now have massive online power in the palm of my hand, I would like to use it for good. If I'm out somewhere and see a watch for sale, is there any particular site/app that anyone here uses to quickly research watches? I'm getting a little better at deciding which watches to take a closer look at and which ones to let go. I'm just not a pro and would love to be able to jump on the phone to get an idea of what I've found. Thanks for any thoughts!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
ebay and https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/
are good starting points

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Thanks Peter! I'll be adding that today.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
also to check how accurate your pocket watch is with out buying timing machine I use tickoprint from google app store its free if you are android user, apple user need to get kello not free
I also use watchville app but thats just wristwatch news.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
When I need "watch information" away from home and I have an I-Phone or I-Pad, I always use;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...op.cc%2Feve%2Fforums

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
That is obvious Buster.

IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
Buster is of course correct. But it does take time to search the site. In a pinch, and if I'm looking for a quick idea of valuation, I agree with Peter that PWDB is a great resource for identifying watches and seeing a rough idea of EBay sales prices. I typically use PWDB to figure out the grade or model of a given movement, and then also check the Fat Book for a very rough idea of values. Then, when I get home, I do detailed research on IHC and other resources. For a high end acquisition, though, I would always consult this club before making any buying decision.

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's another one for Elgin.

Elgin Database

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
quote:
"That is obvious Buster."

Why Y-E-S, Captain Obvious Here !!! I DON'T use PWDB as I have found way too many discrepancies in my research personally so it doesn't work for me at all. But if it works for you, then use what works. And I don't get paid for my statements, I only use what works for me, and I am but a lowly member here. If I need an answer so fast that I don't have time to use this site, then I pass on the offering as pocket watches are rarely unique items.

I use that one also Dave, as it has never let me down.

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1555
posted
I agree Buster, the Pocket watch database is a very poor guide when it comes to value, take the Bunn's & Bunn Specials for example.

All lumped in together and price for the different variants is right out of wack. I know it is slowly progressing but for values it's a no go in my opinion.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Thanks for all the input gentlemen. Let me just say, I wouldn't be making any major purchase without consulting you fine chaps. This site is absolutely the best. My main train of thought is that once summer rolls around, I tend to end up at various antique malls and flea market type places. I'm really just looking for something that I can consult on the fly to give me an idea if a particular sale item is a good buy or not. If I had half the brain power and experience of you guys, I wouldn't be to worried about things! I'm just trying to make sure I don't do something silly (which I've almost done a few times now!) I may just have to throw the big book in the car anytime I'm thinking of going out.
Thanks again for all the input!
Ed

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
quote:
I may just have to throw the big book in the car anytime I'm thinking of going out.

Seems like a long time ago now, I did just that !! Everywhere I went looking for watches I carried the PG with me and believe me, I wore them out back then !!

Very good advice Edward !!

regards,
bb

posted
aye aye captain

IHC Member 2030
posted
Pawn shops owners usually have ' the book'
Then you must negotiations the condition

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1955
Picture of Michael P. McNamee
posted
I think PWDB is helpful for identifying unmarked movements and general dates of production. In my opinion its great for people new to the hobby as long as they understand its limitations. Yes, it is true that PWDB is deficient in many ways, and in time I've learned to take it with a grain of salt--I take what is of value and leave the rest. But I'll tell you what: when you're on the road antiquing and you need a quick general idea of what you're looking at based on movement serial number, it is invaluable, IMVHO, of course.

Do the antique store watch sellers like me when I whip out my iPhone for a fast PWDB consultation? No. But if I use PWDB in their presence, will they start behaving themselves in their pricing practices? You better believe it. I'm Mike McNamee, and I approved this message. Big Grin

Posts: 1088 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: October 15, 2013
posted
the fat book you need to take it with grain of salt as well as is not accurate its been discus here so many times and no changes been made to it.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert Lee Milliron
posted
The "Fat Book" is going to be even worse now that 'Ol Cooksey's gone to that big watch show in the sky.

Posts: 663 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2005