WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend ground/pressed center dials, any comments "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I purchased a SB grade 342, 18s 17j, ls and only 5500 made. It came with a DS dial but it is not a true DS dial but the same thing that Elgin did, took a SS dial and either pressed or ground the center out so that it looks like a DS dial. Elgin would do this on their mid-segment 16/18s 17j+ that were adjusted but not RR grade but I have never seen them on other brands. I pulled the dial and it is not a Swiss replacement, or a DS, it is a SS configuration.

Has anyone else seen these type of dials on other brands?

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Claude Elgin and I think Waltham are the two that I have seen them on. Someone told me they are called depressed dials. I don't know for sure. Of course the Swiss aftermarket dials could be for any brand.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Normally on most Swiss dials they are well marked on the back most of the time but this one has no markings on the back. I will post pictures so people can see the font but you hear them called pressed centers, ground center, etc.

posted
I was looking at the few South Bend dials I have. They are either single sunk or double sunk, but none have a ground/recessed center. In my image files, I note a few dial which seem to be painted metal dials with an impressed ring around the center section.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, I just got an 18S Rockford gr. 935 private label movement that has a dial like you're talking about, looks double sunk, but the center is textured, like it was ground down at the factory.It's also marked with the jeweler name and address.First time I've seen this type porcelain dial, especially on a Rockford.I got this one for the regulator whip, but it is a sharp looking watch, so I will hold on to it and get it running someday, since it was made for a jeweler close by to me.Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Thanks Ted, after only seeing this type on Elgins probably because I collect more Elgins I was surprised to see the South Bend with the same type of dial. So it appears the other brands were doing the same thing.

I don't normally collect private label dials/movements but I do collect the private labels near where I grew up when I find them.