Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Future for parts? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Maybe this is the way parts will be made for watches down the road if they can make them that small.

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f13...cpid/ba4377d3bfd6c81

Roger

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Wow! that's amazing.... I wonder how small a part can be duplicated....

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Roger, that is a truly amazing machine....
25 years ago, I'm an old cogger, Big Grin..I ran a shop that used three extrusion machines and we made similar parts of plastic and then assembled them into a finished product....this machine, especially the 'printer' does everything so that there is no assembly necessary....unbelievable...!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I for one appreciate it....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
We have a similar machine at work that our new product development designers use to make prototype parts they designed on their computers to see how the assemblies will work before making molds. Truly fantastic technology and amazing to watch in action.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 708
posted
I agree amazing

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
In the 1980's when I was on an assignment in Rochester, MN where the IBM AS/400 is made, I saw a machine that they were working with that didn't even have an existing part! They had the design done on the computer, then a holographic image was projected and the part made from that hologram. I don't know how far that technology went.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008