Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with identification - Sangamo Special "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, all.

Hope I can get some help with this - I am a wristwatch guy with a few pocket watches. Today I bought an Illinois Sangamo Special. I see lots of different ones in the PG, so some expert help will be most appreciated.

It is SN 4758782. The pocket watch database says 17 size, Model 13, run 1,000, total 11,000, from 1926.

The movement says Sangamo Special, 23 jewels, motor barrel, adjusted temp and six positions, SIXTY HOUR.

The case is Wadsworth "QUALITY" hinged 14K WGF. There is a cuvette marked marked Illinois Watch Company, Sangamo Special. There is an "x" pattern on the cuvette that is matched on the edge of the case. The case and cuvette have some dents, not big.

The dial is double sunk and has blue kite hands. One small hairline. The arrows point out.

I see that some of these can be valuable, but I'm not sure where on the scale this one fits, so all advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Posts: 124 | Location: Ottawa in Canada | Registered: December 21, 2012
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That serial number makes it to the top of the leader board and "TOP GUN" of the Sangamo Specials.

The marked "SIXTY HOUR" Sangamo Special movements are very special indeed. There were 2,200 of them made.

Put up some pictures, for everyone, of a very scarce variant.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
You have one of the sangamo specials that collectors look for the marked 60 hour just a few made marked 60 hour.
Looks like Buster posted a few seconds before i did but as he said a nice one to own.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Thanks very much for the quick replies.

I have a 2014 PG. Could it be the 3-star, page 283?

I took some pictures but they are too big to post. I could email them to a willing volunteer.

Thanks again,

Nick

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Yes, that is the one. It is a 3*** watch.

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Sangamo Special 23Jewel SIXTY HOUR #4758782

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
Dial

IHC Member 1541
posted
Case 1

IHC Member 1541
posted
Case 2

Wadsworth QUALITY 14 Karat Gold Filled Pat's Pend'g #7849552

posted
Thanks, Lorne. Very kind of you to help out.

Nick

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Here is a link to a thread where Lindell put in a lot of time & effort on the Sangamo Specials.

Sangamo Specials, Marked Factory Wadsworth Cases Database

There you will see the many models, variants, dates and the IHC Data Base which is very helpful.

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1541
posted
Nice score Nick, I was trying to buy this one at a garage sale in Texas last summer, unmarked (60/SIXTY) 17s Sangamo Special but it didn't work out.

Tough to get stuff done from that far away.

We like a story if you are willing to tell some of the circumstances of the acquisition.

posted
It is not a long story. I was at our local watchmaker. He is a good friend and attends most local chapter meetings, has a great selection of vintage wristwatches, zillions of vintage parts and does great repairs. I have bought lots of wristwatches there, and a few pocket watches. He is very expert on wristwatches, not so much on pocket watches.

One of his "friendlies" is to help buyers and sellers connect with each other, without necessarily putting himself in the middle.

So, pure coincidence. I was leaving a chronograph for service and picking up some vintage straps. The Sangamo was from another customer, for sale and priced at an average price for a good quality RR grade watch.

I looked, and left -- as I mentioned, I am no longer collecting pocket watches (sorry, guys!). Went home, looked online and in the book, and I could see at least "some" additional value in it. Money toward my next wristwatch...

So I went back with a quick stop at the ATM and bought it.

I would say it was a complete fluke, except for the reading I have done so that I knew some little bit about Sangamo, and where to look for general info. Then I posted here and we know the rest.

It is a watch that is way out of my league and so it will be going up for sale here, once I figure out a fair market value and how to get it to the right place here. There will be a donation to IHC as part of that transaction, for sure, I appreciate the effort that everyone puts into this great resource.

Thanks,

Nick

posted
Test photo

IHC Member 1541
posted
Nick, congrats, you are now a picture posting pro.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Posts: 5239 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002