WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rare 16 size Waltham Railroader variation (Images added) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
16 size Waltham model 1888 (Riverside grade) marked Oregon short line. I can't find any information on this run/special order.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
The damaskeening is like that of the Railroader or Roadmaster models. Diamond cap jewel, gold center wheel, double roller, yet pendant set.

posted
The imitation double sunk dial is one I haven't seen before save for one I observed on another 1888 model. Hands are like what are found on earlier 18 size model 1892 models.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Serial Number?

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
posted
quote:
?

7,103,649. Photos to be posted soon.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here's what the online pocket watch database gives for that movement number:

Grade: Riverside

Movement Serial Number:7103649
Estimated Production Year: 1897
Run Quantity: 1000
Size: 16s
Jewels: 17j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Model: 1888
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Adjusted: Yes

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1613
posted
William very nice watch...Here is a couple of pictures of my 16 size Railroader..Serial number 6,506,622..Also a pendent set movement...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic #1

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1613
posted
Pic #2

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Very nice Gary, looks like yours has a correct dial. Here's what the online database says about it:

Grade: Riverside

Movement Serial Number:6506622
Estimated Production Year: 1898
Run Quantity: 144
Size: 16s
Jewels: 17j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Model: 1888
Movement Setting: Key
Plate: 3/4 Plate
Adjusted: Yes

Obviously the movement setting needs to be corrected.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
I'm hoping to find out who may have ordered this run of so marked movements. I certainly know how to find the factory production figures of the basic model and grade. Apparently this watch just isn't that interesting

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice rare Waltham!I'm surprised it is pendant-set, although come to think of it,'88 models usually are.Did they even make '88's in lever setting? Has it ever been figured out as to who those Railroader and Roadmaster models were made for?I've always heard they were private label.Thank you, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
William, according to the highly respected Ehrhardt Meggars "Gold Book, this is among the most valuable Model 1888 Waltham watch models made . . . EVER. With that dial Ehrhardt shows $1000.00 in the early 1980's I suggest you insure it for about three times that minimum!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Yes, the older Waltham material catalogs that listed material for the 16 size 1888 model showed a lever-set type setting lever. Never having seen such a movement live and in person I don't know if or how the Swiss type detent stem and detent lever and combination clutch lever and spring would have been modified to have the movement become lever setting.

posted
I'm putting the watch on ebay tonight to see what happens. I have a B.I.N. price of $1,000. (Watch doesn't fit into my collection but it was a pleasure to see it restored).

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sorry, "My Bad", I was referring to Gary Cochran's watch with the Railroader dial. The "Oregon Short Line" fitted with a Diamond cap jewel and with the same surface Damaskeening as the Railroader may be of equal value to a Knowledgeable collector.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007