Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Odd jewel counts "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Bruce B.'s thread regarding info on a 16s movement sparked an idea for the following.

We have all seen and most of us have in our collection, 7J, 11J, 15J, 19J, 21J, & 23J(if lucky enough! Smile)

I'd like to see odd jewel count movements, i.e. 8J, 9J, 13J, 16J, 18J. Unfortunately, I do not have any "odd jewel count movements" in my watch collection. At least I don't think I do. Eek

Would make for a unique collection.

Do you have any in your collection? Want to share? Let's fire this thread up with those uncommon, seldom seen odd jewel count movements!

A discussion as well would be welcomed! Comments? Confused

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Steph,

I have a 9 jewel 16s Elgin and a South Bend.
I also have a 13j GM Wheeler 18s and a 20j 18s Father Time.
Hampden, 18s 16j nothing special though.
I'll try to get some photos up soon.

Anybody else?

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I posted a response to Jerry's Illinois information in the other thread. The question to Jerry was something along the lines of how does a variant (watch with an odd jewel count) come to be? Was it Friday at quiting time? Monday morning after a hangover? Did not order enough jewels for that weeks run?. Interesting stuff for sure

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Aaron,
Thanks for sharing! We'll look forward to pics! Roll Eyes What's your take on odd jewel counts?

I would like to hear more, see more Roll Eyes and learn more regarding odd jewel counts. How's about it? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
I am posting 3 pictures of 'odd' jewel counts. The first picture is an 18-jewel modern Russian pocket watch that I bought in 1994. It was produced as a commerative of Columbus' discoveries in 1492 by Molnija watch factory.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Second picture: 9-jewel Waltham from the late 1930's. It was my Grandpa's watch, before this he had carried a dollar watch. I should have serviced since the main spring is broken as well as the glass crystal. Sometime in the nearly 40 years he carried the watch the crown was replaced by a yellow one; seems the local watch repairman had no white crowns that would fit.

posted
Third picture: A Trenton model 2 from 1889-1891, 18 size, lever set and 4 (four) jewels.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here are a couple of odd jewel counts from my collection: Columbus Railway King, 18S, 16J,
Hamilton 4992B, 16S 22J.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Elgin 6 size

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
My only contribution - a 16j Ball hunter

posted
I have a 20 jewel Cornell Paul Cornell.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Oops! That's a 19J Paul Cornell. Owned a 20J Lancaster and 20J Keystone but sold both.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003