Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Special Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...at this point in my collecting I have decided that since every movement can't or shouldn't be encased in a display case, I would like to, wherever possible, to have the watch 'type' identified on the label and to that end would ask if the Illinois BS 16S, or 18s for that matter, came w/a dial identifying it as a BS and some of those w/a 60hour designation?...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
23J Bunn Special 163A in First Model Case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Bunn Special Type I-R, Case 28 (early bow)...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
21-Jewel 161A Bunn Special in Case 108...

IHC President
Life Member
posted
23J Bunn Special 163A in Case Model 206...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Lindell!!!great pics too!!!am going to 'snatch your images' as a reference for me to begin the search for the 'right' dial for my B/S 60...thanks much!...

Jim
IHC#234

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...PS: is the 3rd pic of a 21 Jewel BS?...if so that's what mine is and will be my target dial...thanks again...now to find one... Smile

Jim
IHC#234

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Jim,

My response was to your general question.

Not every 60-Hour Bunn Special is appropriate for the marked dial on number 5569843 the Elinvar Type II-P Model 161A you see in the third image above. What is your serial number, what is on it now, what condition is the present dial in and for that matter what style case is it housed in?

It's important to maintain the originality.

Lindell

Wink

posted
Jim, All of the 16S Bunn Specials came with a dial style like Lindell has shown, but not all of them had the extra markings other than the Illinois. The early 60 hr Bunns had a dial on which the minute marker arrows were pointed in. Sometime after Hamilton bought the Illinois company, they changed to the minute markers pointing out. As you will note on Lindell's watches, these are all later watches as the dials are "outie" dials.

I had a discussion with Lindell in Cleveland about Bunn Sp dials. From what old watchmakers told me--the style of dial on Bunn Specials, ie the large numbers and the large seconds register, were referred to as "Getty dials". Lindell disagreed with me and insisted that they are called Bunn Sp dials. I can only go with what the old watchmakers (experts) told me 30-40 years ago. I guess the jury is still out on this one. Anybody else heard them referred to as Getty dials?

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Tom,

I probably expressed my belief the particularly bold style shown above is normally associated with Bunn Specials and other later watches. The basic design which we're discussing apparently dates to around the mid-teens. Most RR Grade "Getty Models" were produced a few years earlier and more often than not they feature a somewhat less-bold dial. Consider also, the dials do not interchange between Getty Models and Bunn Specials.

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Wink

Compare "Getty Model" Illinois (1567969 and 2280359) dials to those above...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Lindell, here is a pic of my BS 60 hour...want the correct dial that states that it is a BS 21 Jewel 60 Hour...

Jim
IHC#234

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...also the movement S/N 5168780...hope you can help me fit up w/the right dial...thanks!

Jim
IHC#234

posted
Jim -

At the serial number your watch is at (5.1 million), I think the dial marked simply "Illinois" is just as appropriate as the one with the additional markings.

These marked Bunn Special dials can get rather pricey, and for a near mint to mint example of the 21J 60 Hour dial you can expect to see a price of $500 to $700. My own opinion here is that you are more likely to find a good value buying an entire correct original watch with this marked dial than you are to buy the dial alone.

In 18 size, the only additional markings I have seen on a Bunn Special dial are either "Twenty One Ruby Jewels" or "Twenty Four Ruby Jewels". These such dials I have seen have been the typical double-sunk Gothic Arabic numeral with Old-English "Illinois Watch Co." signature that one would expect on the grade, but with the additional marking in curved red letters above the seconds bit. These are a difficult dial to find, and the great majority of 18 size Bunn Specials came with dials without these additional markings.

One last add on 16 size Bunn Special dials is that in the mid to upper-mid 2 million serial number range the "Illinois" signature is usually straight rather than curved. And in the first few Bunn Special runs the outer track often has Gothic numerals, as below ...

Fred

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Lindell and Fred for your inputs and advice...knew such a dial would be expensive but not to that extent...have decided to shop as Fred suggests for a BS w/the descriptive dial and perhaps 'sell-off' my present 'piece to help finance it...thanks...

Jim
IHC#234

posted
Lindell, I am keenly aware of the differences from the Model 5 dials vs the Bunn Special dials. All I can repeat is what old line watchmakers/jewelers told me many years ago. Both were strictly Hamilton dealers at the time, but both had been Illinois dealers prior to the demise of Illinois. I never asked for the source, never had any reason to question them. I would tend to believe that they would know what they were talking about.

My question stands. Has anyone else heard these dials called a "Getty dial"?

Tom

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I don't know a lot about these watches but it is my understanding that Getty was a designer with Illinois. He could have designed both the hidden winding wheel movement and the dial being referenced. There is no reason to suppose that the two designs have any relationship to one another.

Is there any data anywhere on what Getty actually did? Perhaps there are some dial design patents with Getty's name on them.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
HI Tom, Thanks for the response. I am aware that Getty designed the model 4 & 5 movements. It was my understanding from the words told to me by the old jewelers (both now deceased) that the design of the larger seconds register was Getty's idea, thus the name a Getty dial. I don't think it has anything to do with the large numerals, but it is with the seconds register. Whether this was patented or not, who knows.

Many years ago, as a young man prior to the internet, I was a groupie with all of the local watchmakers. When I would hang out with them, they not only taught me how to work on a watch, but they would tell me many bits of trivia from the "early years". My mistake was not keeping a journal and writing all of it down. How much of what I was told was fact and how much was fiction, I will never know.

Tom