Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cutting A Notch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1508
posted
Hey all. I was wondering, is it feasible to cut a lever notch in a case that does not have one? Or is it a major pain in the neck? Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Brad, If you must, Use a good quality Jeweller's file. Be sure to mark the correct spot first, and also be careful to just file down the inner collar that surrounds the movement.

I keep extra "uncut" cases for more valuable Pendant set movements such as the Hamilton "P" types.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1508
posted
Thanks David. I've got this Keystone case (looks just like the ones that were made for Hamilton 3992B's), but it must have held a Waltham at one time, because the notch is on the left. I've got an Illinois 167 that really needs a case, and would look really great in this. So, I guess I get to do some fileing. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Brad,

I would agree with David and urge you to not alter that case.

What you describe was especially designed for some Walthams and various Swiss movements. They are not easy to find with the single Lever-Cut in the 55 minutes area so I would tend to keep it for a proper fit. On the other hand, the case you need is relatively easy to locate.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Just another thought. I personal will not even put another movement in a different case. In plain english the first thing I look at when buying a watch that has a decent case is if there is more than one set of screw marks. If there more than one set. REJECT. And I personally hate it when some one pulls a Elgin out of a Solid Gold case and swap in a Illinois now they Ruined a Great Gold Case.

It might take a little time but a case that matches will come around. There are plenty of 7 jewel watches with great cases. At reasonable prices.

Thats my opinion like it or not.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010