Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Dial Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I just received my 18s, 928 back from Samie and I would like to make the dial correct. For some reason someone has cut two of the feet off the dial and so it will not stay in place. I know of "adhesive dots" but would rather replace the feet, or the dial, for a more permanent fix. It currently has a Script, AN, SS, dial that reads "Hamilton Watch Co." in fine script. Is this a correct dial, and, would replacing this with a double sunk be inappropriate for this watch? Serial # 86,XXX dates it to around 1899.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Close-up. As you can see this has multiple HL but a nice script. Is it worth trying to attach feet, or give up on it and get another?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That would be a correct dial style in SSD or DSD.

Once you pay $70 + postage both ways to have two feet put on you will still have a dial with H/L's. I would replace it IMHO.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Buster, Now, if I can only find a rep;acement.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Mike, For what it is worth I agree with Buster. I would be looking for a better dial. You might want to check with Rob. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1016
posted
I'll do that. I currently have a bid on one on Ebay that I believe will work fine. Getting it is another thing. ???Will a dial off of a 925 (HC) work on the 928 (OF)?????

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
ALL 18sz Hamilton dials will have the same foot pattern AND it makes no difference whether O/F or H/C they will ALL interchange.

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Buster, That helps.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I am quite new to this hobby and the more reading I do the more questions I have. In this case if one were to choose to replace broken off dial feet, what is the process. The adhesive dots are self explanatory but can the feet be resoldered without damage to the enamel? And there's another question, are enamel and porcelain the same thing?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Laser welding is the process and runs $35 per foot + postage both ways.

Some 19th century dials were made of real porcelain. During the 20th century enamel was spread on a copper blank and fired in a kiln. Then the lettering/numerals were applied and "short" fired again. These dials today are generally called porcelain, but aren't quite, but real close. You may call them porcelain to differentiate between melamine and just a "painted" enamel paint dial, and it would be accepted horologically.

regards,
bb

IHC Member 1016
posted
It seems to me, and I can't say why, that MOST OFTEN Roman Numerals were used on Hunter Cased watches and Arabic Numerals on Open Face Watches. Is there anything to this observation? I know that RR grade implies Arabic AND Open Face, but is it generally that way?

posted
I think initially both Roman and Arabic numerals were allowed but as you got closer to 1900 it became the norm and later the requirement for a RR watch to have Arabic numerals. Some of my hunters have Roman numeral dials, others have Arabic numberals so I am ok with either.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Buster, thanks for the info.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011