Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My first cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi all!
I´m a little proud of my self. My first take a part, and put together with a succesful resault,...so far anyway.

I bought this South Bend 217 from Mr Lucke and I took it apart change the mainspring, cleaned it, put it together oiled it and I think it is fantastic. It´s something special with South Bend watches, isn´t it?

Now I only need a new stem and my first repair and service is completed. This one will be kept in a certain place in my collection. Thanks Rhett for the oppotunity.
Best regards!
Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
ready,...almost anyway.

posted
It looks like goldtrain on this one, is it?
/Bernhard

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Congratulations Bernhard! The first one is reaaly special.

Great job on the photos also! I'm still working on that part.

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Bernhard,

Yep, it's a gold train on that one. Aren't South Bend's fun to work on! Smile

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Good job bernhard.Your layout is very profesional , the way you have the parts arranged after cleaning.
Good pictures too. Smile

posted
Bernhard,

You have done an excellent job in all areas of this watch project. The pictures are terrific and the presentation is very well done!!

Thank you for sharing this one with us. Cool

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Very nice job Bernhard. Good going.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thank you all for the kind words.
Ronald!
Yes, I think it´is. Feels great.
According to photo, I think you have checked up the "How to photograph you watches and clocks"
, if not, do it, I learned it all there, and of course, some try and error Smile

Frank!
Actually, very fun but I have no experience of other watches so I cant say if this one is more fun then others. I actually thought this one wasn´t that hard to handle, is it compared to others?

Kevin!
To have any chance to keep the peaces together I have to try to keep the a part, otherwise I get totaly lost. Smile

Phil and Brian!
Yes I will keep it going, actually, in august I hopefully will quit my job as a naval officer and start a 3 year education at the the swedeish school of horology.

Thanks all again for your participation and words of encouragement.

Best regards!
Bernhard

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Bernhard,

Looks like you did a great job...I have the wrong mind for this type of work and just chuck all the pieces into a bowl and clean them..I assume i will know where they went...and i do ..in the watch...just not how! Big Grin

Seriously nice work..Looks great.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
Bernhard,

You are now what we call "HOOKED".. good luck on all of your future projects..Practice makes it alot easier..Take it apart again, and put it back together.. Big Grin

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Three years of formal education in Horology! woow!!, that is a major change in your life Bernard. Congratulations and if you have time let us know as you progress in your project.

Saludos amigo Bernard.

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Bernhard you must be very serious to give up your job in the navy to pursue your interests in horolgy.
All the best to you. Smile

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Congratulations Bernhard!

You should be proud! Keen idea using case divider to house watch parts before reassemble! Good pics too, thanks for sharing!

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great job Bernhard,

There are few things like the satisfaction of completing a new and challenging task. The first of many I would assume.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002