WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting Hamilton 940 Private Label (Fred McIntyre) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Just received this one from my brother and would like to have as much info as you Hamilton experts can give me....

The watch dial reads Fred McIntyre on first line and second line it looks like "So. McAlester I T"....

What is interesting is my brother lives in Oklahoma and there is a McAlester to the East of where he lives and when this watch was made, according to the Gelson list, it was 1902 and Oklahoma was Indian Territory (I T) up to 1906 when it became a state....

Tom may be able to used his data base and see if he can find a 'Fred McIntyre' in McAlester, OK during this time frame....

Here is the dial view of the watch....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Here is the movement view of the watch....

"Made Expressly for Fred McIntyre By Hamilton Watch Co."

Serial number is 160134....

Thanks.

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jerry, nice watch!

I will have to do some searching, I have run across that name before.

In the 1900 US Census for Distruct 83, South McAlster, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory there was a Fred McIntyre born Feb 1871 in Pa., he is listed as a jeweler. He is married to Lida W. (April 1873 Illinois).

Neat watch being marked with the Indian Territory dial!

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jerry

You might google his name, I did using Fred McIntyre jeweler. I found information showing he partnered with Charles DeLong (of the Delong escapement) and they formed the McIntyre Watch Company listed on page 318 of the guide.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jerry, that must have a story! What a nice piece for restoration.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks a million Tom, for the info and I agree Dave, this has a special story especially with the Indian Territory (IT) on the dial....

I will call you Dave....

Regards,

Jerry

posted
Jerry! That dial/movement is so COOL! I wonder if there are any other private label dials around like NM and AZ that are identified as "Territories"...

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Jerry, I like private labels and that one is unique! Cool

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is an ad for his business there in South McAlester. It is from a newspaper called Our Brother in Red & is dated May 4, 1898

posted
Jerry -

Love the 18s Hamilton movements, and the 940 is just such a nice movement, and then a private label on top - lucky you.

Today, I stumbled across a 18s Hamilton with a very interesting name (Hart) on the movement. I would like to share in your post. Hope it is ok...

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice looking! Any Relation to our welcome new member Jon?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Very nice looking Jon and David beat us all to it....as he always does Wink,that would be an interesting tidbit if true...?

No,Jon, I don't mind that you showed yours as well, perfectly ok....

How does the dial look...?

It looks like both watches need work from the position of the regulator on both....in the same position....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
It makes me happy to see someone acquire a nice piece like that, good for you Jerry.
As usual, superior sleuthing by Tom.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jon

If it helps to determine if Frank might be a relative, he had his store in Tacoma, Washington. According to census data he was born about 1864 in Illinois.

Also it appears he purchased serial numbers 418201-418204 and is listed as Frank C. Hart Tacoma Wa.

This image is from the 1895 Tacoma City Directory

Tom

Tom

posted
Jerry -

The movement caught me by surprise because the dial on the watch was a standard Hamilton double sunk dial.

David -

Not sure, but it made me do a double take today Smile

Tom,

Born in 1864 in Illinois sent chills up my spine. I am going to guess Northern portion of the state. The bulk of our family (Dad's side of course) is from the upper Western Portion of IL. WoW! Does your data provide a city within IL?

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jon, after I realized it shows you are in Illinois it got me to wondering.

In the 1900 census in Tacoma Frank is listed as being born July 1863. His father is listed as being born in Vermont & his mother in England.

Another person shows his father as Charles but I have yet to confirm that by any records. No city yet in Illinois.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Well it appears that in 1910 his father was a widower and had moved to Tacoma & was living with Frank. His father is listed as Charles F. Hart born about 1824 in Vermont & both of his parents were from Connecticut.

Also for the record Frank is married to Jennie & in 1910 they had the following children;
Walter A 1893 Wa.
Joyce M. 1895 Wa.
Vincent S. 1898 Wa.
Ellena J. 1902 Wa.
Clinton F. 1904 Wa.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Frank might have been from Harlem, Stephenson, Illinois.

Tom

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I would never think to look up a private label in the Fat Book but after looking at the presentation, page 318 is about the McIntyre Watch Co.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
The information that is given on pg. 318 is not regarding private labels it is regarding the watch company that Fred McIntyre and Charles DeLong formed and produced only a very few watches. That is why everything is 5 star watches on their page.... but according to information in the Power Point Presentation Tom Brown found earlier today, they also made 14 size watches and nothing was said about 12 size....

Here is that presentation of the McIntyre/DeLong in The McIntyre Watch Company....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jerry Thank you for bringing forth a most entertaining and informative presentation.