WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bezel question, 18s hunter (New and Improved Photos added) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I have this nice old Hamilton 941 that is in a Silveroid case. The problem is the bezel is gold toned. Any way to plate that with no big expense?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Neat movement, lousey dial!

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Bezel can be nickel plated by any good jewelers' service shop. If this were my watch I would hold out for a good gold filled hunting case with a commonplace 17 jewel Hamilton movement (so as to not have extra case screw marks) and also look for a good double sunk dial. The watch is worth it.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks, William. Good advice and I'm looking even as I type. Original cases are hard to find though.

posted
some supply houses sell a silver plating & polishing product.
as I recall it's called silveron w/pure silver.
Just clean your watch shake the stuff up well, apply with soft cloth and rub it in. cosy around ten bucks. hope this helps Joe S

Posts: 7 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: July 17, 2011
IHC Member 1016
posted
I'll look for it. Thanks Joe.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mike,

I would have Don Mathis plate your bezel in nickel...

CLICK FOR: Casemaker and Master Engraver Donald Mathis

Don does plating as well as very artistic and proper case engraving.

Now to what Bill said about your dial, all the Hamilton advertising shows the Open-Face 940 and Hunter-Cased 941 as leaving the factory with Double-Sunk Dials. Your movement which is from 1904 production would be expected to front a "Hamilton" in Script Signature Double-Sunk Porcelain-Enamel Dial. And by the way, all the 18-size Hamilton dials interchange between Open-Face and Hunter-Case movements.

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Lin. I am looking for a correct dial. Will contact Don about the bezel.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Bezel can be nickel plated by any good jewelers' service shop. If this were my watch I would hold out for a good gold filled hunting case with a commonplace 17 jewel Hamilton movement (so as to not have extra case screw marks) and also look for a good double sunk dial. The watch is worth it.

I took your advice and found this case and dial on a 927.

IHC Member 1016
posted
But, the cover wont close with the bezel on. That should be no problem as I believe I can get that replaced with a proper fitting bezel. Now this is a much nicer 941 than before. AND, the screw marks are matched!

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Could be the glass is too tall. Pop it out and see if it will close. Some have to use an absolutely flat glass to close.

Try flat polishing the bottom of the bezel [if it's not the glass] on fine emory paper and perhaps enough can be taken off for it to close. But you can take off too much, that's the bad part Frown

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
It's not the glass. I tried that. Did not try the emory cloth solution. I have really nothing to lose as it isn't correct for the case as it is. Thanks Buster

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, is the problem that the cover does not "lock" down, or that it simply will not easily swing down to the closed position?

I ask because in your picture the hasp that is supposed to lock the cover looks like it is not extending out far enough to work.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Dave, With the bezel off, the case functions fine. With the bezel on, it does not. The SN on the bezel do not match up with the case either. The other parts, lever slot, opening and hinge, all match up fine. Given that, the emory cloth may be my first attempt to solve.