Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is This a Hampden Movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have an 18 size gilded movement that is signed "Brigham & Eager" and the dial and the movement plate and also on the movement plate "Marlboro, Mass.", "Pat. Pinion",Serial number "208038". It is KW & KS and looks like a Hampden model 1. If it is a Hampden it is approximately an 1881. The movement looks brand new it is so clean and the dial is pretty nice also..

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Dial

IHC Member 1610
posted
Come on now. No one knows if this is a Hampden or not? I know we have some Hampden collectors. Does it look like a Swiss fake? The search did not turn up any information on Marlboro, Mass. that is why I am seeking the members opinions

Thanks,
Harry

Picture of Martin Wagner
posted
Harry:

I tweeked it bit for clarity and believe that you are correct, a Hampden Model 1.

Marty

Posts: 420 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 26, 2012
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hampden PL check this link
on lakeside I just bought.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6095371/m/9433954377

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Martin for the photo help. Are you getting much rain in Eufaula?

Thanks Peter for the link. They look just a like except for the name. Do you or anyone else that reads this know what the little solver colored half circle with the pin sticking out by the winding key is?

IHC Member 1613
posted
Harry,
Its the winding click..If you take the two screws off the cover over the mainspring arbor there is a little gear (winding gear)that the click holds when winding the mainspring...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Gary. The Rockford minute hand works great thank you.

Harry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That is an "extra fine" (Collector grade) Hampden. It deserves a fine coin silver 18s KW case. Preferrably Deuber, or Waltham.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you David for your much appreciated information. I will search my cases to see if I have one.

Thanks again.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Glad I could help with the Rockford...Second try was the charm..LOL

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Harry that is a very nice looking movement. If you do not find a Dueber case let me know and I will rummage thru my KW stuff and see what I have.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Deacon. I have had the movement for years but did not know if it was a Swiss fake or what it was. Since becoming a member hear I suspected it was a Hampden in Marlboro colors and was right as confirmed by several here.

I am not big into key winds so I don't have a lot of spare parts. I have two key wind coin cases but neither are Dueber cases. I feel like David and a Hampden should be in a Dueber case so I would appreciate you looking.

Thanks,
Harry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Harry, a VERY IMPORTANT detail;

This is a Hampden made in Spingfield, Massachusetts where Hampden NEVER MADE WATCHCASES, only beautifully crafted movements under the Tutelage of the later Co-Founder of Hamilton Watch Co, and the Brother in law of my third generation back cousin, Hampden co-founder James Abbe.

Mr James did show some favor to the advances by Deuber to combine his cases on some Springfield movements at Hampden dealers, but by NO Means were ALL Springfield Hampdens assembled into Deuber Cases.

The main east coast "Case of Choice" in the early 1880's would be some Jewelers private stock of 14K-18K solid Gold case or a Waltham Coin Silver (AWWCCo) or someones silveroid case.

I have little doubt that one of your cases will be a perfect match to this watch in restoral. You have a movement that is too fine to waste on waiting for a certain case. Tallyho!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
If you are interested the jewelers on your movement, Brigham & Eager were. Henry W. Eager born March of 1846 in Massachusetts and (Lorriman) Loriman S. Brigham born Jan. 1832 also in Massachusetts.

I can fin them in the city directory back to 1887

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
Good job Tom for providing some provenance!!

Posts: 76 | Location: Parma, Northern Ohio USA | Registered: January 02, 2006
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you David for the case information. And thank you for the history of your family and how it tide in with Hampden. I would like a nice coin case. Solid gold is out of the question. Of the two keywind cases I have only one is coin. If I can get a nice coin case at a reasonable price that would be great. If not I can put it in either one of the two cases I have. They would do.

Thank you Tom for the information. Information like this is always welcomed and does add to the enjoyment of the watch.