Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The case or the Movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
After removing several ounces of encrustation and fossilized fish brain oil from this MD Ogden in a silver case, it became clear that the case was at least equal to the movement, so off to Leon Harris for this one! With a little fussing, this has become a "contest" between the movement and the case! Of course they are complimentary, but the case is extraordinary! Can you believe that movement left the Elgin Factory 136 years ago! Eek

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
Wow, that one must have been hidden in someone's underwear drawer for the last 130 years.
Where do you get all these interesting pw's?
The area I live in is a desert for pw's, and the one's you do find have been through the "mill" so to speak.
CA is sure the golden state!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Dave,

I'm anxious to see the finished product as Leon has done exceptional case work for all of us.

It looks like you did quite a job cleaning the case to where it is now. Did you take a before picture,

Pete

Posts: 20 | Location: Dillsburg, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: August 20, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
NO I did not do a "before, as the case was so grubby that a picture only occcurred long after it was new cleaned up. I prefer to hand polish cases, especially Coin Silver ones as they have their own "flavor". The pictures are after I received the case back from Leon. Leon only had to replace the top cover lift spring. This is a little better view of that.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, I got this one still wrapped in old linen at a swap meet a couple years back. It was most certainly a "hider", as the mainspring was broken, so it could have been in hiding for 100 years "waiting for a main spring".

Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Dave,

My vote is for the case. I had a Philadelphia 16S but silveroid case that looked beyond beyond the pale but wasn't.

Pete

Posts: 20 | Location: Dillsburg, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: August 20, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Oh my goodness! this one made me shake!!! hehehe

That is one gorgeous watch.... ALL of it!

That movement looks spotless, and of course, the case is outstanding. Just another one for me to drool over. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

Between this one, and your Elgin 280, I could faint!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004