Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Waltham Model 1908 Gr 636 Mkd "W.W. Co." "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Just got this in...neatest little Waltham I've seen in quite awhile and wanted to share...It's a 1908 Model Grade 636...if anyone knows any history on this Grade please chime in...

I don't ever remember handling this particular model at all...This is the first one I've seen.

3 Runs of 4500 total 636's made. This is in the 2nd run of 2000 about 1918.

If this isn't RR Grade/Approved it's as close as it gets...or is it?

Model 1908 Marked Adjusted to Temperature AND 4 Positions. Also Marked Double Roller

Signed "W.W. Co." on bridge. Lever Set.

Check out those gold screws and gold regulator whip...pretty cool.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Sharp piece, Tom. I like anything with gilt hardware; it really make the pattern pop.

If you put it up for auction anywhere let me know, will you?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice watch, Tom, These seem to be scarce.They also made an '83 model 18s, the "836". These are different because of the whiplash regulator, the "double roller" marking, and the "W.W. Co." instead of the usual "A.W.W. Co." signature.The 4- position adjustment makes them better than street railway, but not quite railroad grade.But I bet they were RR approved, one of those grades that would have been grandfathered in when the 5 or more position rules started.Thanks for sharing it! Best regards, Ted .

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Tom, I also just got one of these 636's, also a 19 mol. serial number. Mine has a brass escape wheel, I was wondering if yours does, it looks brass in the picture.They really are a sharp looking movement, but I thought being as high grade as they are, seems like it should have a steel one.Best regards, Ted.

IHC Member 1338
posted
Ted;

It's brass...neat little watch

I got it's cousin in the other day....
A 642 Adj 5 position 17 Jewel 1908!
Only 2000 of these were made I believe
I'll post some pics soon of it as well, getting a new crystal and cleaning done now

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks, Tom.I hope to someday get a 642, they're a nice RR but pretty hard to find.I also recently picked up a real nice 17J 637, a 642 lookalike, but 3 positions.My new "daily driver" work watch.Thanks again, Ted.