Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Do you know this mark? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
This is all that is on a pocket watch I have, and although I'm pretty sure it's brass, I thought I would ask if anyone here has ever seen this mark.

I don't have a picture of the entire watch case right now, just this one I had done up a while back.

The weird part is, that the 18 STANDS OUT and is NOT engraved. The material around the 18 is carved out, and the 18 stands up, and so does the "square around it.

In all the pictures I take it looks sunken, or cut out!
Thank you,

18kkmark

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

This is difficult to answer without additional information about exactly what kind of watch it is. The obvious reference would be to an 18K Solid-Gold case. However, such marks as this could just as easily be on a common "Swiss Fake" from about a hunderd years ago. Your image looks like it is stamped into the case material.

Show us the entire watch and I'm sure this will sort itself out.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This mark is actually backwards!
The 18 part of the mark is NOT cut out it is SITTING UP. Looks just the opposite in the picture.

I think it's one of those fakes, this is an old photo I had in a program, and I can't take any more pictures until the guy fixing my computer finishes copying my files, so he can reload my computer program for me.

Now, if this is one of the fakes, how can I tell if it's brass? Is there a test for that like for the Gold?

Actually, I was just curious to know if others had seen this mark before.

I got it because I thought it WAS a good example of a FAKE. Only $18.00 I think.

I like to make notes on case marks, and I list if it's an example of a fake, or gold, or both, with as much information as I can get on it. This way I have my own reference.

Thanks Lindell, and I will post a picture when the computer is finished being operated on.

Sheila

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Sheila,

My suspicion is what you have is a not-too-clever fake. Resist any thought of acid or cutting into the case. They are both potentially destructive. So far as the "test" goes, mine is actually quite simple. First examine appearance very carefully. An untreated brass case will tarnish, a gold-filled or plated case will wear down to brass. Carefull visual inspection can reveal much.

If you are still uncertain, very gently try to flex the cuvette. Any cover will do, but on hinged cases I prefer the cuvette. A solid-gold case will always allow flexing, wheras brass does not. Once you've handled a certain number of these you'll actually develop a "feel" for gold that many of us rely upon.

In examining watch cases, see what there is to see and feel what there is to feel. The basic "look" and "feel" of a genuine solid-gold case is like nothing else. The thickness, the look, the feel and the test of flexing will reveal much. Finally, research the subject. Type "solid gold case" into our "Find and Search" feature.

There is a lot of shared knowledge available there.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

Thank you, I forgot about the flex thing. I had done that before and it really showed me a lot. My gold case was very "moveable" and the brass was as strong as an ox! Great example.

I'm glad I posted this one, because it showed me ONE OTHER THING. I found another picture that I had taken, and noticed that my camera must do a negative because if you look at the picture below, you will see the other numbers, and they look to be sitting up and they are actually the ones that are engraved!

Both are the opposite of what they really are, so maybe it's something we need to be aware of when we look at watches. I'm going to post this in the photo section, and see if any others have this happening to them, like my Kodak is doing to my pictures.

By the way, the case is Brass. I checked it out and it was that old fake M J Tobias I got to show the difference, THE FAKE.
I had it pack away and just got it out to look at it again.

Remember these numbers are the opposite of what they look like. So weird!

Sheila

Backwards Marks

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Shelia,
you could always bite it, if your teeth sink in it might be gold. Then again, if they don't you might be going to the dentist, LOL

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is another deceptive mark in a gold case that I have. Based on case wear and other factors I am convinced that it is solid gold. However, based on color, weight, a streak test, and the opinion of several knowledgeable people I believe it is only 14K gold. Perhaps the "18" meant 18-size (which it is).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Sheila, regarding the appearance of your case mark and whether it is raised or incuse, this is just a trick of lighting and how the mind perceives the shadows. It has nothing to do with the camera. If you turn your picture upside-down it will "flip" the perception of what is in relief also. This is a common effect in looking at pictures of lunar craters. I am used to seeing lighting coming from the upper part of an image and my brain interprets the shadows in that context. If the lighting is coming from a different direction I have to do some mind tricks to see it properly. Here is your image as you showed it and flipped. Which one looks right to you?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
OWWEEEEEEEEE my teeth!!!! Big Grin

Jerry! I knew there had to be another good reason for that "rotate" button!

Thank you! this is great, now I can make my pictures look like they are supposed to.

I also think that these marks can be confusing because other contries use the diamond shape and square blocks with numbers in them to indicate what the material is, (usually Gold)and all these marks can really mix things up, especially when you have to consider the fakes out there.

This one looks a lot like a French mark I have in my information pages for 18K Gold.

I could just punch those Fabulous Fake Makers! Big Grin

Jerry, can you tell me what kind of watch is in this case?

Sheila

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
My case? It has a Waltham 18-size 1870 model Crescent St., one of the first watches advertised for railroad use. I'll post it in the picture gallery.