Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WALTHAM MODEL 72 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Would anyone happen to know the total production for this Waltham signed "Am. Watch Co." grade 72? Serial #2254367

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
It also seems that I have heard these movements where slightly thicker than normal requiring a special case. Is this correct?

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Do the dial and hands look right? Any info is appreciated!!!

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The Am grade 1872 model Waltham was either the 3rd or 4th grade in the model line. It was probably behind the Riverside, Am'n and American grades.

All 1872 models are both larger and slightly thicker than standard 16 size watches and will only fit properly in an 1872 model case. A big 16 size case with a higher than usual back can be adapted, but they never look right.

Here is a picture of 5 of the American Grade.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Tom,
Is there an easy way to spot a model 1872 case (other than measuring)? Were cases for this model only made by A.W.Co., or did the other casemakers of the time make model 72 cases? (I have a model 72 Riverside that is in search of an appropriate case.)

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Nearly all the high grade Model 72's are lever set and they have a very distinctive lever. The slot for it will be long and narrow with a flared end.

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Tom,

Thanks for the help! I can't seem to find a way to access production info in regards to total movements produced. Can you guide me along?

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
It is a lot of work to do the statistical queries like Wayne did, so they are not directly available.

You can list all runs for a particular model and grade, but because of the way Waltham named grades, that is not really easy either. (If it were easy I would have done it for you. Big Grin)

If you enter 72 as the model and "am" as the grade it will return a list of all the AM and Am'n grade runs. Then, you need to add them up (and leave out the Am'n ones).

Sometime I will generate a "corrected and regularized" version of the information like Wayne has for Elgin. At that time it will be practical to provide the statistical queries for entries by grade and model, etc. Right now the information has minimal editing and displays observations as well as runs.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002