Tools
Add Comment
992B Boxed Set (Original Combination??) "Click" to Login or Register 
, by Edward L. Parsons, Jr. (created on )Gallery | Comments 
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
Here is a collection of items I picked up recently on eBay. I wasn't sure about the box, but figured it was worth taking a chance for the small premium I was paying over the value of the watch alone.

The set consists of a two-piece brown slipover-type cardboard box with a white corrugated liner and a 992B label attached to it with old discolored Scotch tape, a cloth pouch, Hamilton watch guarantee, packing slip, and of course the watch.

I looked under the label and I can see where something was lightly stuck to the box previously and the back of the label is a faded yellowish color. The closed box is 1 1/8" thick, 2 1/2" wide and 2 3/4" deep. The label is slightly smaller than the end of the box: 1" x 2 3/8"

The watch (S/N C304283 ca 1950) has a plastic crystal, which I have heard was original in these Model 15 cases, and quite a few shrinkage cracks in the melamine dial. The serial number and case number match the label, as well as the dial and case identification.

My working hypothesis is that this is one of the "temporary" cardboard boxes said to have been used by Hamilton when they ran short of the celluloid "cigarette" boxes, and that the label came off long ago and was taped back on.

Anyway, take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think. Does this look like an original combination or a put-together hodgepodge? Was this a good or bad deal for $455?

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed, I have stated before that I was given my uncle's 992b that is in a model 15 case. It has the original plastic crystal in it, and it is c-1954, so you are probably right about the plastic being original. Anyway, I think you got your money's worth.

Tom

posted
No problem there Ed, Think of it... the model 12, 15, 14 were 'lower priced' watches.... have seen all of the examples in a brown pull-apart box with labels......

that is another theory besides the temporary box theory... we may never know the real facts......

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Thanks Terry, that "lower priced" theory makes a lot of sense:

base metal case + simple cardboard box = lower priced watch

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Nice set Ed.

You did well at $455.

Charlie

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting item.

We should probably call each case what Hamilton called it, they simply called the Model 15 Case what is was and is... Stainless Steel.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002