• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
992B Boxed Set (Original Combination??) "Click" to Login or Register 
, by Edward L. Parsons, Jr. (created on )Gallery | Comments 
Here is a collection of items I picked up recently on eBay. I wasn't sure about the box, but figured it was worth taking a chance for the small premium I was paying over the value of the watch alone.

The set consists of a two-piece brown slipover-type cardboard box with a white corrugated liner and a 992B label attached to it with old discolored Scotch tape, a cloth pouch, Hamilton watch guarantee, packing slip, and of course the watch.

I looked under the label and I can see where something was lightly stuck to the box previously and the back of the label is a faded yellowish color. The closed box is 1 1/8" thick, 2 1/2" wide and 2 3/4" deep. The label is slightly smaller than the end of the box: 1" x 2 3/8"

The watch (S/N C304283 ca 1950) has a plastic crystal, which I have heard was original in these Model 15 cases, and quite a few shrinkage cracks in the melamine dial. The serial number and case number match the label, as well as the dial and case identification.

My working hypothesis is that this is one of the "temporary" cardboard boxes said to have been used by Hamilton when they ran short of the celluloid "cigarette" boxes, and that the label came off long ago and was taped back on.

Anyway, take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think. Does this look like an original combination or a put-together hodgepodge? Was this a good or bad deal for $455?

The slideshow requires Flash Player 9.0.124 or higher.
Please click here to install it.