Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Any horological sleuths out there? "Click" to Login or Register 
, by John D. Duvall (created on )Gallery | Comments 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
The lady I purchased this from said she was positive that it was used by the ******** watch company. Following close examination, I was able to confirm that she was telling me the truth.

By looking at the pictures, answer the following questions:

1. What is this?
2. What company used it?
3. What year was it last used?
4. Precisely, what did it contain?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The tray appears to be a ten watch assembly tray similar to those I am familiar with from Waltham.

However, the Waltham trays do not have the cute little grade disk in the top lid like this one does.

The starting serial number may be the other number on the disk, in which case, the tray would have to be either Elgin or Waltham. The Elgin grade 315 is a 12 size 15 jewel watch made from 1903 to 1939.

From Wayne's site:
315 1033900 329 1903 1939 114 12s o3n3p 15j

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Darn, I was going to say Elgin. I looked it up too.
The grade that is. 315

Would it have to do with dials?

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I have one of these movement trays that also has the little circular holder on it. I got it from an old watchmaker friend who said that it was from the Elgin Factory. The ends of the box are painted white with a red and a blue stripe. (I'd post a picture but I don't see a way to here.)

If it is Elgin, it looks like Tom has nailed the rest down.

Well Mr Duvall, are we hot or cold?

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Yes, Tom got this one.

I thought that 315 was the grade but was not assured until the serial number 18,360,481 was checked. So the answers would be:

1. Movement assembly tray.
2. Elgin NWC
3. 1914
4. 12s, grade 315, 3/4 plate, nickel, model 3, pendant set movement.

Since the last tag affixed to this tray was SN 18,360,481, I assumed it's last use would be approx 1914. Each assembly area can easily accomodate an 18s movement so I also assumed this was used for movements other than 12s.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003