Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
Waltham Model 1857 Factory SW? "Click" to Login or Register 
, by John D. Duvall (created on )Gallery | Comments 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
As most of you know, I'm an Elgin collector. However, I've always wanted a human hair fob and this one just happened to be attached to a Waltham watch. The eBay description for this watch mentioned only the overall size of the case and no pictures of the movement so it was just a "buy and see" deal for $68.99. I figured the fob was worth that. I was delighted to find an 1857 movement inside!

This watch is missing the let-down screw. If anyone has a replacement screw, please contact me!

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John,

Nice find on a harder to find watch... You may have just started your early Waltham collection....Is this stem wind and lever set or stem wind and key set.??

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
John,
Now that you have a Waltham Model 57 this might give your a reason to visit Waltham Mass to research your watch. Many of the Chapter 8 members that meet at the Charles River Museum of Industry on Thursday can answer any questions about your model 57, and you can view the machines that were used to manufacture the model 57. Great find of a nice watch.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks everyone!

Jim - I didn't know these were adjusted. Do you know how many positions?

John - This is a SW LS movement but not an Abbot conversion.

Wayne - Great info. This is actually my second 1857. The other is a Home that I haven't put back together yet.

Question - This has the Fogg's patent but I'm not sure if it's for the the vibrating hairspring stud or safety pinion. The mainspring appears to be broken or slipping on this one and hoping the center wheel teeth are okay. I really don't want to do another tooth repair.

posted
John,

The Fogg's patend is not for the hairspring..I think your are correct with the saftey pinion..but not positive. The Waltham Watch Co grade was one step below the Appleton Tracy Grade..and I believe should have 15 jewels not 11 like most of the P.S. Bartlett grades..The reason I asked is, there are mdl 57's with stem wind and key set from the factory, hard to find though..I have an Abbotts Mdl 57 converted, interesting...

John

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The 1857 model had lots of different stem wind configurations including key set and stem wind. I will try to dig one out to photograph with the simple stem winding and key setting.

I think Fogg's patent refers to the let down mechanism on this watch, but I could be wrong. When this one was made, the center pinion was just called patent pinion because of the settlement with Elgin of the Burt's Patent vs. Fogg's Patent litigation.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Again, thanks to everyone for your help in researching this watch. Your expert advice is greatly appreciated.

With the exception of a missing let-down screw, this watch appears to be original and unaltered. I plan to document the teardown of this watch in a similar way as my Elgin 6s bridge movement. This may help to answer a few questions or add more to the list.