Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

columbus question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
I have a Columbus I think serial 79646 private label A.H.McIntyre portage la parie and Minnedosa. The date is around 1887 any help in id would be appreciated. Smile

mcintyre

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
More picts

posted
An old history of Manitoba, Canada, published in 1906, says that Mr. Archibald Hector McIntyre was the leading jeweler in the town of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba. Son of a Scottish immigrant also named Archibald, this McIntyre Jr. (the jeweler) was born in 1857, moved to Manitoba in 1881, formed a partnership with a man named Davidson in 1882, then went into jewelry business on his own in 1886. Your watch movement definitely appears to be a Columbus. It would have been made in Dietrich Gruen's then-new, modern steam-powered watch factory here in Columbus on Thurman Avenue (about a block from where I live). I don't see an "adjusted" mark on your movement; I would guess it's a medium grade 18s watch, not intended for railroad use, but others may have better eyes than mine. I will not hazard a guess as to its number of jewels.

Regards

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Walter,
Yours is one of the few Columbus pocket watches that I have seen with a 24 hour dial.. Very nice example may I add

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Very nice Walter! Was it a local pick-up?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Columbus Patent Micro-Regulator suggests this could have been set up to be positions adjusted by the Jeweler (if not already by Gruen). It is most likely a grade 33, and with that dial especially, quite a valuable collectible!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Walter:

I have posted on page 2 of my Canadian Private Labels thread a Hamilton 18 size, 21 jewel, Grade 940 private-label WH McIntyre Portage la Prairie Man. & Kamsack, Sask.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Thanks fellows, a puzzel solved. Lorne you missed it Big Grin. Now the only problem is the stem which is missing. Thanks again.