Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois George Washington 18s info "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I need a little help from some of you Illinois experts. Does the George Washington 18s movement have a special dial or is the dial just signed "Illinois Watch Co."? The serial number is 137407.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Hi Harry , is that the Illinois G/Washington with 3 stars ? ! I looked in the images of close serial numbers and they had either a blank dial or Illinois watch co , lets see what the experts have to say , by the way did you need a dial ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Kevin, yes that is the 3 star movement. If the dial is correct then I do not need one. Is this the correct dial?

posted
Let's see what the experts say , I have a later one with that dial , and just picked up 309150 an early bunn with the "cursive english" script, I am not sure , I would love to see a list of what dial goes to what,the watch choppers have made it tough

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1610
posted
Yes you are right and the way they chop up watches now you are lucky to even find a rare watch or any watch for that matter with a dial. The dial looks pretty old so I believe it is probably period correct. I just want to make sure that they did not have a dial that was signed George Washington.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Harry, I would say it is correct. My research using
the Illinois cd does not say what dial would be on
it. I believe yours to be period correct and probably correct for that movement.

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The early 1880 Key wind, Model 1, Gilt, Unadjusted Columbia Grade movements, signed Geo. Washington are rarely seen or discussed. Little is known of them. Show us some pictures please.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Roger and Buster. Roger I believe like you the dial is period correct and probably the original but not knowing much about Illinois I was hoping someone might know. Buster I only have the movement and the picture above is the dial side of the movement and I will post the movement side now. The Price Guide says it is a 3 star watch but it does not have a very high value considering it is only three stars and I assume that is because it is a Columbia grade.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I imagine that you are correct Harry. I believe the "Geo. Washington" signed movements were merely a sales approach by Illinois, which they commonly did.

The movement retains most of its originality and gilt tone, very nice.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009