Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sangamo 23 Jewel Getty "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This showed up inside a Sangamo Special Rigid Bow Case last year at very little extra over the case cost. Lo and Behold this is on a "Par" of rarity with the Sangamo Specials!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
While the dial is less than perfect, it is correct according to the description. I did find an appropriate case for it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The movement took some work, and special treatment of the Balance wheel, but it is as close to 6 positions now as it may have ever been. (Whew) This is from the last run of 400 pieces with a total of 2690 made. Among those few done, there are pattern changes and also the prized Pennsylvania Specials as well, so every one of these is "special" in its own right. That is why I took extra special care with the movement and getting all the parts in order as they should be. As most of you know, I remain convinced that the Getty design was a pinnacle of American Horologic design in its own right.

I guess the "jewel race" of 1901 was sorta like who could make the most Garish Tailfins on late 1950's Automobiles. Because the Getty motor winding mechanism does not easily permit a Jeweled Going Motor Barrel, to make 23 jewels Illinois added 3 pairs (6 jewels) of caps to the pivots for the Pallet Fork, Escape and third wheels, making this an extra "dustproofed" super-tuned 17 Jewel movement.

IHC Member 1016
posted
David, I have one of these 23j Gettys as well. Different case and mine has an ugly metal dial. Are these rare? I post a poor photo as it is not in good light conditions.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice watches Mike & David.

Mike I show that yours was made in 1907 & that there were a total of 1160 made from 1906-1909, yours is listed as bright spotted third pattern.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
You guys just had to make me green with envy before bed huh?

Yep, 9:09 a.m. and it's bed time!!

Beautiful Watches. Total Gems!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom, Thank You for the extra explanation about Mike's Watch. As you noted, Mikes enjoyed a run of 1160 and mine had a run of 2690. The computer data file I used allows a very detailed review of each movement type, while the Blue book allows you to scan the movement groupings of watches.

The difference that I learned from studying the Blue book is important to add as a correction to my post on this. There are two groups of 23 Jewel Sangamo Open Face Movments; Mikes is a Double Roller movement and mine is a single roller movement that is grouped into 5 different Variants, including the "Pennsylvania Special" which actually came from the same 400 piece run that mine was in.

These are all very rare with a combined total of only 3850 made. Grouped, they are 1 star and separately 2-3 star.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
David,

I wonder if that run of 400 that yours was in was a mixed run with the "Pensylvania Special" as it has no markings on it to declare it as such. You would have thought they would have marked at least the movement if not the dial as well. I wonder if they were marked, just how many left the factory with the P/S ID. They only came out of your run so where are the others? If there are marked ones they are rare birds indeed.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I think that was a mixed run, it was 1598601-159900, 400 of them & some but I have no idea how many were the P.S.

Tom

IHC Member 1016
posted
Are these difficult to clean and oil? Any tricks involved?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike
Nothing that I have noticed is different, at least to me.

Tom

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Tom, from an "all thumbs" type guy.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, These are actually very easy to work on, and I must add that on the first one you need to be careful with the wind and set wheels which are stacked together in a "pack" with an outline looking sorta like a Mickey Mouse hat. This pack is pressed into the bottom side of the Barrel cover and there is a tiny star spring in it to keep the two facing ratchet wheels engaged for winding. You should always remove the pack and clean the winding wheels etc but do not try to disassemble the wheel that is held to the cover with a spanner nut. It has been very carefully "clearanced" and trying to re-tighten it is nothing but trouble.

As the pack is a light press, you will need to "rock" it up and out gently. I use a 1 mm screrwdriver and some isopropyl to keep things "loose".

IHC Member 1016
posted
David, and Lindell, here is the watch we have discussed. 23j Getty with the correct dial. Lin, as we discussed, this is not the correct/original case, nor are the hands original in my opinion. But, this makes an awfully nice addition to my collection. The old metal dial is UGLY!

IHC Member 1016
posted
Closer look

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, "Ya Did Good!"

posted
I picked up one of these recently to go with my 21j Sangamo OF and Hunter but wondered what the correct hand style and color is (blue or plum) since the minute hand is missing. It has the correct gothic dial but is stuffed in a later base metal case. I found this old conversation but wanted to get some insight to the hands sn is 2185457, later run around 1909 I think.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
plum

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
thanks, Illinois pocket watches are more of a mystery to me when it comes to the plum and blue usage. My 21s have plum but wanted to be sure before I started searching.

posted
Picked the watch up yesterday (Wed Post was closed) but the movement was in great shape, the watch runs and has strong balance action and from the side there is no wobble or variation. No corrosion and just one small screwdriver slip mark that I can see with a magnifier. The dial is original gothic style with a few hairlines, I cleaned and soaked it and for the most part they don't look bothersome. Some small chips on the very edge, not near the lever but down in the 5-6 range but they would be hidden by the bezel. It still had most of the hands but one was missing but I found correct set of plum hands and they are on the way. The case was toasted and not good for much except a place holder so I have a period correct French bow style case with the taller pendant that should work fine. I will post some photos of the movement tonight and later with hands and case.