• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Keystone JBOSS case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I would like to know about when the ubiquitous 16S Mainliner look alike cases began...I've seen them on watches from 1917 and my thought is that these have been recased and that these cases came out later than that..

Posts: 383 | Location: Northern Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 04, 2007
IHC Member 1338
posted
Dennis I'm thinkin about 1922-23 or so, maybe a little earlier? I think Buster knows seems like I read something once?

I personally like those cases because right or wrong ANY railroad watch looks good in them

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Sure, they're a nice looking RR case but they scream RECASE..for instance, I just bought a 1915 Elgin Veritas WI in one of those cases...If I can't have a movement in its original case, I like to put them in era correct cases. That's part of the pocket watch collecting hobby as I see it...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dennis and Tom,

The earliest advertisement I have found for the "J. Boss Railroader" case carried a 1923 date and was arguably the most popular railroad model case ever produced. It was sold by retail jewelers beginning in 1923 through the 1950s and was even revived in the 1970s time-frame as what we term "re-strike" cases. So to find one on any movement earlier than 1923 means you found yet another re-cased movement.

In 1937 the true "Mainliner" case which was from Hamilton and differed in several respects came along. The real-deal "Mainliner" came only on "Hamilton 950 Elinvar Mainliners" produced from 1937 through 1941 when they were replaced by the 950B which was a new movement offered in then-new model cases.

Keystone's "J. Boss Railroader" case is often referred to as a "Mainliner-Style" by many collectors.

A true "Mainliner" case will carry one of the two signatures shown in the image below.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

The real-deal Mainliner cases carry one of these two signatures...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Yes, it does...thanks Lindell!

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Thank you Lindell.

I always get a kick out of the term "Mainliner wannabe" when people talk about the "J.Boss Railroader" case. As we can see in Lindell's thorough explanation here, that case came out in 1923. A full 14 years BEFORE Hamilton contacted Keystone to make the few subtle changes in there "J.Boss Railroader" case to come up with the "Mainliner" case for there new 1937 950E.

To me the "Mainliner" case should be called the "J.Boss Railroader" wannabe! Roll Eyes Smile

JMHO Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
I wonder if movements were ever cased in those cases at the factory for mass consumption? Perhaps only for special orders? Maybe exclusively for recasing?

posted
Two signed factory cases, with small modifications.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
This was the most popular case ever made, and used in variations by almost every major watch manufacturer.

I'll be putting on a beautiful 950 Mainliner Elinvar tonight. What a beautiful case/watch, and it falls right in with these that Lindell put up as an example on another one I found in 2010;

Beautiful 950 Elinvar in a Mainliner case

The one tonight has a movement No of #2618690, and the case No is #1144096. Love these 950 Mainliner Elinvars!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Those two pictured [by Kevin] are not the same as the generic one we all see constantly...those are marked with the watch co. name, like Elgin, the generics are just marked with Keystone J.Boss, etc....show me a generic marked with a watch co. name....

posted
Lest one think I'm anti-J Boss Railroader, here's one I just bought casing a 1917 Elgin Father Time WI...the photo of the design back doesn't do it justice, it's spectacular...but again, not appropriate for the movement era..a high pendant case would be correct I think..

posted
might as well show more:

posted
and

IHC Member 1357
posted
Not correct but beautiful non the less!!!

Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Sure is! I love those cases! Smile

Someone had said that they didn't make a lot of the fancy back cases either. To find one in the condition of the ones shown here is really a nice find for sure. I sold a customer in Alaska a really nice NOS WGF case like the one Kevin's Howard is in. What a beautiful watch that was.

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1110
posted
I've seen pictures of some Canadian-made "Sturdy" nickel cases that are the Mainliner style, anyone know anything about them? I'm wondering if they also made then in gold filled or RGP.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

We are off in several directions! Big Grin Which stimulates additional interest.

Perhaps we should consider the one Dennis shared as a suitable replacement case, that was common.

Ted, often when a case-style was discontinued the dies were shipped to Canada, this even included A few Hamilton styles like the very cool Case 7, a favorite of mine.. Of course the signature inside case-back was updated.

Check out this 2005 sale, looking back an exceptional bargain...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...511077931#5511077931

Scroll up and down, eight sharp images and carefully read the description too.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks for the info Lin, I never knew that American watches sold up there had to be in Canadian made cases.That must have been good for their case makers.That model 7 style case was really nice, you'd never know it wasn't a Hamilton from the outside!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Lindell!

That case is one of my Favorite cases!!

Regards,
Larry

posted
I have a couple new old stock of these cases.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Front of first case.

posted
Back of first case. Plain polished back.

posted
Second case Front.

posted
Back of second case. Engine turned. Don't get any better than this. The tag also has matching serial numbers to the case. Roll Eyes