Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Canteen Navy Frogman wristwatch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
I am listing this Elgin Canteen watch on eBay tonight and thought I would share it here first. Enjoy

Posts: 427 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: April 07, 2003
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
frogman 2

Posts: 427 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: April 07, 2003
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
frogman 3

Picture of Jim Walz
posted
frogman 4

posted
Very nice Jim. I have also seen these Elgin Canteens with grade 539 movements.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Hi Jim, does the 647 movement hack?

Posts: 39 | Location: Bdr Sunway, Selangor, Malaysia | Registered: June 08, 2005
Picture of Jim Walz
posted
No, this is not a hack model.

posted
Thanks Jim. I have two Elgin canteen watch, one with 539 movement that hack and the other one with a non-hack 647 movement. In Whitney's book he mentioned that the 647 is a hack movement for the canteen watch. I have kept track of about ten 647 canteen watches in the last year or so and all are non-hacking. Does anybody have more info on this?

siewming

Posts: 39 | Location: Bdr Sunway, Selangor, Malaysia | Registered: June 08, 2005
posted
Hallo,
i have a Elgin 647 s/n S38773 ad'j 17j mvmt with the hack device,
rgds

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Do you have a picture of the caseback? My 647 have a serial no. of S24834 and is non-hack, which is also indicated in the Elgin database.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted

The above images are from eBay. The above watch sold for $935.00. Is that above normal for one of these?

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hallo Evbdy,

re E. 647 i only have the mvmt , i do not remeber the watch it was associated with and where it is but was not a canteen for sure. I saw these canteen watch steady growing in value in the past year or so.
best regards
Enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
I think $935 is not a bad price for a buyer but a Hamilton will probably have fetched a bit more. The price does swing a bit though, there was one went for $1400+ recently and few weeks later another one closed at $750+.