Internet Horology Club 185
In a French rail car on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/946108137

November 11, 2004, 11:52
Greg Crockett
In a French rail car on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918

In a French rail car on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918...

The end of "The war to end all wars"

To all who served then, all who served since, and all who still serve today. Thank you.

Greg Crockett
November 11, 2004, 15:35
Lindell V. Riddle

Thanks Greg,

The War to End all Wars...

It is hard to imagine today that World War I or as it was called at the time "The Great War" actually involved 35 countries. It lasted five years, from 1914 to 1918. When the fighting stopped, leaders of England, France the United States and Germany signed an Armistice on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month in France. Most people then held the notion the last war had been fought and peace had been forever won. Oh, if it were only true! Historically November 11th is the time to reflect and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

And so today, we salute all of those brave men and women who answer the call to arms.

Lindell

President Bush takes part in a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns,
Arlington National Cemetery Arlington in Virginia marking Veterans Day...

November 11, 2004, 17:41
Ged Pitchford
Hello All, We call this day Armistice Day, and The British Legion, an organisation of Ex Servicemen sell POPPIES before this day ,all proceeds go to Ex Servicemen in need. The Fund is administered by The British Legion of which I am a paid up Member. The Poppies are made by disabled ex servicemen all the year round. Poppy Wreaths are laid at every War Memorial in every City, Town and Village in the whole of the country at 11am on The Nearest Sunday morning, On the 11th Nov' ,today, everything stops for 1min silence at 11am, We were in a Super-market and they closed the Tills and everyone stood still in the aisles. Ged.
November 11, 2004, 18:24
Kevin Pestor
I salute all men and women who have served and are serving now to preserve the freedoms that we have now.
May peace one day come. Smile
November 11, 2004, 22:54
Sam Williamson
Ged, what a great custom! A moment of silence at 1100 sounds like a practise that us colonists could emulate.

Sam Williamson

November 12, 2004, 19:21
Tom Huber
Ged and all, The tradition of the poppies came from the the WW-1 poem "Flanders Field". To my knowledge, Flanders Field is a WW-1 military cemetary. The opening lines of the poem are--In Flanders field the poppies grow, By the crosses row on row.

The poppie is still used in the states by many military organizations to symbolize Veteren's day.

Tom (US Army retired)
November 15, 2004, 09:12
Kevin Pestor
I thought poppies were also worn in the U.S.A , like we wear them here in Canada. We also observe a moment of silence at the 11 th hour.
Something new here in Ontario are licence plates for cars that denote the person is a veteran. Smile
November 15, 2004, 17:29
Greg Crockett
We do that in Michigan as well. The plate even notes the war. It has been a long time since I observed any W.W.I. plates on the road.

Best regards,
Greg
November 11, 2013, 11:47
Richard Romero
I would like to thank all who have served in the military and sacrificed for this great country, and others, for common good then and now.

Thank you,

RR
November 11, 2013, 16:37
Tom Brunton
In Flander's Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Written by Lieut.Colonel John D. McCrae, a WW1 Canadian soldier,doctor,& poet

posted here in memory of my four family members lost at sea through enemy action, 1 in WW1, 3 in WW2 as well as the rest of my family who served,in fact all who served
November 12, 2013, 10:11
Jim Hester
I'm a yankee and have many ancestors who served in many wars in the US and in England before then. My oldest one who served in a US war was a Minuteman from Boston who fought in the battles of Lexington and Concord and later at Bunker Hill. In his honor I fly the first American flag on Veteran's day - the one that was raised at the battle of Bunker Hill.