Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Canteen "Click" to Login or Register 
<William Schorr>
posted
Hello everyone,

i thought i'd use my first time posting here (well, other than a reply below Wink and present my latest buy - an Elgin Canteen.

Finally here is a photo of a UDT member wearing a Canteen dive watch - the photo isn't as clear as the original, but i still believe you can make out the watch. The UDT diver is enjoying a smoke and a bit of Brandy after a dive - my kinda' Navy ... LOL.

Best Regards from N.M.

billy

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great images Billy!

During what era was the Elgin Canteen Watch issued?

(BTW, I sent you an eMail with the way I got your images to open.)

Keep 'em coming!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Great watch Billy! For our viewers, does UDT stand for Underwater Demolition Team?

BTW, the wife and I will be traveling near Gallup this weekend. We will be heading South out of Holbrook, AZ and visiting our retirement home in Show Low.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
<William Schorr>
posted
Thanks, so much !! I really appreciate your help w/ the photos Smile

The Elgin Canteen was issued in the early 1950s, and was the watch used by divers during the Korean War. The only diver that was issued prior to the Elgin (to U.S. divers) was the Hamilton Canteen.

I believe there were a number of divers just prior to the Vietnam War, and just as this war beginning to start the U.S. started to issue the Benrus Type I. Below is one i bought last year - this is a "Sterile Issue" - bearing nothing but a serial # on the back...

hope this photo show Wink

If anyone is interested i started a small webpage w/ more info on the Benrus Type I / II dive watches - including a shot of the movement and a few different variations. Along w/ this page is a page about Olongapo Bracelets - a cottage industry bracelet made near Subic Bay during the Vienam war (below is an example)

Follow the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.freewebs.com/billyschorr/

Thank you again for the help w/ the photos - i belive i was having trouble because i was using a "Tag" and not the URL

Best Regards from N.M.

billy

<William Schorr>
posted
Hi John,

yes UDT stands for Underwater Demolition Team(s).

Hope you have a wonderful trip - the weather here has been the best in the five years we've lived here. Very mild, light winds, and occasional showers (something we love to see out here Wink - so different from back east where i and my family are from ... lol).

Thanks, again, and Best Regards from N.M.

billy

posted
Welcome to 185, William or Billy whichever you prefer to be called.
I liked your pictures of the wristwatches, very neat with the waterproof stem.
Great photograpy also.
Enjoy the site , Smilethere is alot to look at.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Nice canteen photos, William.
Thanks,
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for the info on U.S. dive watches. The images of your watch are excellent and the picture of the diver is especially valuable.

The Olongapo Bracelets and the connection with the Vietnam war is also highly interesting. These might also come under the general heading of “trench art.” At some point I’d like to see a good long discussion of military watch bands, watch bracelets - govt. issued, trench art and private purchase. So far this is a rather neglected area.

Unfortunately, the link to your web-cite is “under construction,” but I will definitely be back to check again!

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1964 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
<William Schorr>
posted
Hi Greg,

the opening page says things are "under construction" , but if you use the "tabs" to the upper right side of the screen - Benrus Type I/II and the Olongapo Bracelet tabs = they will then take you to that page. BTW, if you get any errors (like photos showing as little red Xs) please post here about it = my computer is on its last legs, and i'm not sure if it is my computer or if it is the webpage ??

TIA and Best Regards from N.M.

Billy

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Aha! Now I see them. What a great collection. It would be easy to overlook a treasure like one of these Benrus dive watches if you did not know what you were looking at.

Thanks again,

Greg

Posts: 1964 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002