• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Forthcoming US Military Timepieces Book "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Is anyone aware of any books in the pipeline focussing on US military timepieces? Whitney's book "Military Timepieces" is useful, but there is room for more.

Posts: 57 | Location: Geneva, Switzerland | Registered: April 27, 2010
posted
I'm not aware of any but it would be nice. Whitney is a great start, but I always seem to come away from it frustrated with what is not there, even on timepieces that he covers. Still, for now it is the best there is. I think one of the problems is the topic is just so large that one book would not likely do justice to the topic - it would likely take a number of volumes, each focusing on a particular group of timepieces or eras of timepieces to really cover everything. I can imagine that would be the work of a great many years of a dedicated author or group of authors though.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
In the pipeline? Yes, but sort of stuck right now. I am working on a book right now (have been for the last 4-5 years) and actually have it pretty well wrapped up and ready to send to print. The one big problem... I had planned on using photographs of my collection that I have spent considerable time taking but am just not satisfied with the quality. So, for now, the book is on hold until I have the time to start over with a better set-up or hand-off to a professional and get it done right. So, that is where I am at. Be rest assured that when it does come out, it will be no less than phenominal in both photographs and information.

And yes Jim, it will be the work of many years of dedicated US military wrist watch (and data)collecting and focus on the period of 1940 up to the modern era. I would have liked to include the very early US watches, circa WWI to 1940 but that has never been a focus of mine and at this point, too expensive to start. If anyone reading this would like to contribute, let me know. We can work something out.

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
posted
James,

I look forward to the launch of your book. It sounds like you are a perfectionist, but please don't leave it too long to release your work as there is a yawning gap in the market which may be filled by something less comprehensive/credible.

Will the book cover straps and packaging? It would be great if the book also included copies of the specifications (I'm having real problems getting copies of some of the US mil specs for wristwatches).

All the best with the project.

Ken

Posts: 57 | Location: Geneva, Switzerland | Registered: April 27, 2010
posted
James I got a Pershing dial Elgin and a Depollier Illinois if you would like photo's of for WW1 for your book just let me know.Can't wait to see you get that book out.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
quote:
I look forward to the launch of your book. It sounds like you are a perfectionist, but please don't leave it too long to release your work as there is a yawning gap in the market which may be filled by something less comprehensive/credible.

Will the book cover straps and packaging? It would be great if the book also included copies of the specifications (I'm having real problems getting copies of some of the US mil specs for wristwatches).

Ken

Thanks Ken. This book is a labor of love, not for me to make living off of. If it only sells a few hundred copies, it will have served its purpose. My friend will be publishing it for me and it should get plenty of PR so, I am not too concerned. I have watches, data, documents, etc. that nobody else has, so there will always be room for my book at the table should others beat me to the line with their's.

Yes, the book will cover straps and packaging. In fact, when I first bagan collecting back in the mid '80s, I started collecting the packaging and have kept this up to this day. I have an extensive collection of original boxes and packaging that will be included, some never before seen. At least I've never seen it. Same thing with straps.

quote:
James I got a Pershing dial Elgin and a Depollier Illinois if you would like photo's of for WW1 for your book just let me know.Can't wait to see you get that book out.

Thanks Mike. Is it an issued watch? Is it marked? Unless I can get a good amount of early issued watches (Signal Corps for instance) to flesh out a whole chapter, I won't do it. I'll leave that book for someone else to tackle. I do not even plan to include pocket watches and I have quite a few of those but not enough to bother including.

Thanks,

James

Posts: 101 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA  | Registered: July 25, 2006
IHC Member 478
posted
Hallo James, very interesting plans for a book on US Military Timepieces!
Can I help with the photos, I got some experience?
Give me a mail: konrad.knirim@t-online.de
Greetings Konrad Knirim in Naxos/Greece
www.knirim.de

Posts: 85 | Location: Duesseldorf Germany | Registered: March 08, 2005