• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hitler's Yachts Clock from Grille "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hitler's Stateroom Clock off his Yacht the Grille.

Please see attached linck since the file was too large to load photo.
The History on this clock from the owner:

My Dad tells me he removed the clock from the Grille when it had been tied up in Britain and it came from the cabin that was believed to be that of Hitler.

It has been in our family since then - 60 years!

The clock that I have was removed from the Grille by my father who was in the Royal Navy at the time.

The hands and numbers are actually silver with the rest of the case being nickled brass.
>I wonder, that given the unique location of the item, whether the serial number is of any use in tracking the manufacture. We wondered if this was one of those special items made by Gustav Becker to be different from all other styles and types.
>I can only wonder about these things as there seems to be no other way that I can identify this clock.
>I have been trying to find any information about the Grille and its capture by the British. There seems to be very little information about
her at all.
>This surprises me as she was such a magnificent boat.

The owner.

Serial Number 2331244
Eagle wings wth a world under it.

http://germanwatch.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=gene...ay&thread=1156976865

Posts: 74 | Location: Redondo Beach, California USA | Registered: July 12, 2006
posted
In the linked thread you show a drawing of the maker's marking on the clock's movement. It is always very hard to be sure just looking at a hand drawn sketch rather than a photo but you seem to have drawn a winged hourglass. The winged hourglass is the logo of the Longines company of Switzerland. They have used and trademarked this logo since the company was created back in the early 1800s. If this is the Longines logo, then the oral history of your clock may not be entirely accurate, which is an all too common occurance given the passage of time and the way oral histories naturally change over the years with each re-telling. Do you have any 1930s/early 1940s interior photos of this boat with this particular clock shown in them to confirm that this clock is from this particular boat?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Jim,

This is a lady who sent me the photos to get more information about the Grille.

I will send her to this link.

Hopefully she can tell us more.

posted
Here it is

posted
Thanks for adding the photo, Perry. What is needed are some more photos showing details such as from the side and back, but more importantly of the movement and the markings on the movement. From what has been provided so far I am skeptical about the story that goes with it simply because I have heard countless stories without provenance about timepieces that people have shown me that had 'belonged to Hitler' or other famous personages. Of course such people did have timepieces associated with them, but if even one story in 100 were true these people would have been buried under timepieces. The first of several steps is to determine whether a timepiece is of the era from which it is represented as being from.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004