WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

FLIGHT OFFICER'S 4992B WHAT CAN WE FIND OUT ABOUT HIM? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Just came into possession of this Hamilton 4992B in the Adamson carrying container as you see below. The movement is 4C3930 with U.S Gov't markings. Seems to run fine. I've not had one with provenance before. Apparently the name of the flight officer to whom it was assigned is written on it. The name is Flight Officer H. H. Rothman and he was from Lakewood, Ohio. Perhaps someone knows how to look up his military and other records. Anything about the watch or the man who had charge of it would be interesting.

Assigned Flight Officer's name is clearly on the outside...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Battle-scared but interesting and apparently complete...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

If this one could only tell of all it went through in WWII...

posted
Wow Lindell, that is nice.It is in original condition and in great shape for something that saw active service.Great find, i have seen these watches before but never the case that holds them, it must be quite rare.Thanks for the pictures.
Have you tried to research the name on maybe Google? Smile Wink

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Kevin,

If anyone knows how to research Flight Officer H. H. Rothman of Lakewood, Ohio it would be interesting to know more about where this one has been. Such detailed efforts could provide worthwhile and much-needed instruction for others wanting to engage in such research as well.

Surely someone will take the challenge!

Lindell

Wink

posted
how bout the contract numbers and other numbers on it?

Have often wondered what that tag on the front was supposed to say... it is missing on my example...

posted
In theory, U.S. military records can be obtained from the National Archives if you have enough information on the person. If you are not related to the person it is more difficult and they do not give as much information. Also, there was a big fire there in 1973 and they lost a lot of records, especially on WW I vets but also some others. Given that you have so little information on this particular flight officer I might imagine that it wouldn't be enough for them to track him down, but you might give it a try. From what I've read there were a couple of hundred thousand flight officers in the Army Air Force during WW II (it was the lowest officer rank) so finding the records of a guy with just a last name and a couple of initials might not be a simple thing. If you do give it a try, please let us all know how it goes.

Military records website

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks for the images, Lindell.

There are some places on the web devoted to the U.S. Army Air Corps. Obtaining information regarding a private individual can be frustrating. Here are some links of interest:

USAF LINKS

Given how difficult the Feds are about information, I might suggest contacting the archives of the home state of the Vet. States often have historical information regarding their veterans and they are not as stogy as the Feds.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Does anyone know where and how these cases were positioned in the aircraft?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Can someone tell me what these watches were used for?
Thank You
John

Posts: 98 | Location: Oviedo, Florida USA | Registered: June 13, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi John,

The 22 jewel Hamilton 4992B and several other watches of similar high quality were the master navigation timepieces for aircraft. These were used in bombers, transport and long range aircraft. This was used the same as a chronometer was used on a ship at sea. The navigator on board had instruments like a sextant for which the exact time was required to locate position by the sun or stars.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
John,
The watches were used as a master time source for the navigation of aircraft. The watches were set to Greenwich Civil Time ( thus " GCT " on the dial ) The watches were carried in a varity of ways including a rubber shock absorbing case cover, a wooden box with the watch holder suspended by cork to reduce vibrations, and in the metal tub which was designed to reduce magnetization by stray electrical currents in the airplane. Where they were carried in the aircraft would probably be determined by the type of aircraft. The book ["Military Timepieces" by Marvin E. Whitney] indicates that those used by the Navy were carried in a smaller wooden box.

It would be very interesting to meet a WWII navigator and ask what type of aircraft he flew and where he kept his navigation watch.
Fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
posted
Lindell: I have the card board box that the Adamson case came in. The paper label reads as follows: CASE, CARRYING,WATCH,NAVIAGATION
Specification No. 27310
Cont. No. W535ac39273 Ord.No.(535) 43-28150-P
GEO. H. ADAMSON
Tecumseh, Michigan
U. S. A.

posted
I forgot to add that the case that came in the box shows no signs of ever having been used. It is like new condition.

IHC Life Member

posted
Hi Guys,
I also have an original never used unit, but its marked different. The fsn and the an part number match, but the manufacturer of the case and the markings on the box do not match and yet its brand new never used. Also note the inscription on the front of the case stamped in red ink and very hard to read just below the inspection port.
Fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member

posted
b

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I also have an unissued case, an Adamson. However, the label is not on the box. It looks like it fell off at some point.

A small amount of rust appeared on the outside of the case. I'm concerned that chemical reactions with the original cardboard box may be to blame. For this reason, I don't keep the case in the box.

Best regards,
Greg