WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Looking for a Marine Chronometer to buy - advice needed "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
I really would like to buy a marine chronometer (non a deck watch) but i'm in desperate need of some sound advice.
A looong while ago, i bought a Polyot, s/n 22041, from a gentleman (!) in Russia.
The chronometer arrived in his double wooden box, but since it was not corked at all the balance axis was broken.
I complained with the seller, and he asked me to send it back for refurbishing. In order to save weight, i shipped only the inner box, well padded with bubble plastic.
After a LOOOOONg while, all i was able to get back was the actual chronometer body, unrepaired, partially dismounted with some parts loosen inside. No way to get back the wooden box and gimbal.

Now, i would like to try again... but where can i find an honest dealer, able to cork it properly, and not going to cheat me?
I'll also be very happy to make a deal with a fellow collector, having good references from the community. By the way, my Polyot is available for trade (as a part source?)

By the way... Why do i want a Polyot (or kirova)? simply because i think i'll never be able to afford an European or American made...

Will anybody be so kind to help me?

Happy new year from Paolo (from Italy)

Posts: 35 | Location: Loiano, Italy | Registered: January 01, 2011
posted
I'm adding a second photo...

posted
Paolo,

Your experience is very saddening. Have you had any communication with the seller since receiving the chronometer after their attempt to "fix" it? Perhaps they sent the box/gimbals in a separate shipping to save on cost, I know many will use EMS to send the movement, but regular mail to send the boxes. This happened to me once, the box/gimbals arrived close to four months after the movement. Any explanation from them on the current state of the chronometer?

There have been other horror stories on this board about sellers from Russia on these chronometers. I've had my own as well, previous repairs made with super glue, locking stones put in backwards, etc.....

If anything, perhaps you'd like to tell us whom which seller we should stay away from? Might we assume that this was eBay?

Michael

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
posted
My guess is that the chronometer was broken before it was shipped and the lack of corking was not the reason. The behaviour of the seller after you sent it back indicates that he was a thief. As Michael mentioned, there have been other bad experiences with some Russian sellers of these Russian Marine Chronometers by people on this forum. By trying to save a little money in buying one of these, many people have lost their money by not receiving anything, or only getting something that is broken and losing their money. In the end, trying to save a little money has cost them a very large amount of money.

My suggestion is that if you really want a chronometer made by one of these Russian companies then you should only buy from someone you personally know, or from a long-time IHC club member whom you feel you can trust, or from a well known dealer who has been in business for a long time and has a good reputation. I am sure there are good and honest timepiece dealers in Russia and Eastern Europe, but there seem to be many thiefs there so I would not take the risk of buying from someone I did not know well from those countries.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
I say, it was a saddening experience indeed! you know, i'm not that kind of folk that can afford throwing away money as a pastime...
I bought the chronometer from a Russian website that disappeared after a short while. The referring person canceled his email account...
I have been waiting for the box for more than a year, and now i'm left with a non-working, fascinating piece of nothing.
This is the reason for my registration here: to find an honest, well reputed member, or dealer, i can trust, and start again from zero.
Any sound advice will be DEEPLY appreciated...
thanks to all,
Paolo