Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Latest Find, Hamilton Model 22 "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi Friends,
I recently picked up a Hamilton Model 22 that is need of a bit of TLC.
The staff is broken (New one ordered) and it is need of a good service.
Also I am in the market for the inner gimballed box. I have contacted Gary Sellick and priced a repo version but I was hoping to pick up an original one Maybe.
I'm just starting to dip my toe into the "Chronometer" water after collecting mainly Railroad Pocket watches so this is proberly going to be the start of a very expensive and addictive habit.
Cheers
Gary
(Australian Collector)

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Here is another picture of the back

Posts: 340 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: September 10, 2009
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Now for one of the movement

Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I recommend Larry Crutsinger, Detent21@aol.com He also has a website for Hamilton military specific parts. www.militarywatchemuseum.com

I believe he at least has a new acrylic "crystal" for your model 22.

Gary Selick has boxes that are built to authentic specifications, but are better qualty then an original old box. His prices are equal, or better, then comparision original boxes. Look around, but please reconsider what Gary has to offer.

The model 22 is a wonderful deck watch chronometer. When cleaned, and adjust, are the most accurate mechanical chronometers ever produced....bar none.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks Matthew,
I have contacted both and I will proberly get both items from them.
I have been looking for one of these for some time now and for what I paid I'm very happy.
Gary

posted
Very nice.

I have no connection with the following auction house, but they recently sold a boxed one of these to give you a sense of how it will look once you have it restored and boxed: A boxed one that sold at an auction

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi All,
I just thought i'd let you know that the staff arrived yesterday and I worked on the watch last night and replace the staff and it is running strong.
Now all I need is the new crystal and the gimbal box and it will be a gem.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to IHC185 Gary, and congrats on your latest acquisition. Looks like an outstanding piece.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Hi Guys,
I recently picked up a Hamilton Model 22 movement and brass tub.
I needed a new staff and crystal and to be cleaned.
I received the staff and then proceeded to clean and service it to have it running to about losing approx. 2 to 3 seconds a week and I think it will be better over time.
I just received the outer box from Gary Sellick of Ships Clocks Cabinetry and boy does he do nice work from the brass gimbal through to the exterior finish.
A lovely piece of furniture to sit on my side table.
I hope you like the pictures I have attached.

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Nice Box

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Next Image

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Image 3

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Image 4

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Image 5

Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Image 6

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Gary,

Very impressive. You can be proud of bringing that piece of history back to its days of glory.

Gary's superb work on the box looks to rival the craftsmanship of our resident furnituremaker, Eric Unselt.

I'm jealous!

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
posted
It look real nice now.If you got that inner box from Gary Sellick he does great work I have bought two outer boxes from him one for a Hamilton like yours and a Waltham chronometer.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Beautiful chronometer Gary,
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Thanks everyone for your comments.
I should just clarify some thing in my post I said I received the outer box when I should have said the inner box.
Yes I was very suprised to see the quality of Gary's workmanship (not that I thought he'd do a bad job) as it far out did my expectations.
I'm not sure if he uses original lables or remakes but all the same they are extreamly nice.
I just won the non gimbaled version so I will be doing the same thing to it as I have done to the Model 22 Gimbaled version.
Stay posted and I will be showing the before and after shots of that restoration job.
Cheers
Gary

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Did you get the one that just sold for $360?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Gary Dutton
posted
Tom,
Yes that was me!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Good Job Gary, I had been watching it, thinking of bidding but then decided I didn't need another project. Plus I have my boxed set up for sale anyway.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007