• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

/|\ B 17493 ... what's the meaning ? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Could you kindly tell me the meaning of this UK military code ? It's on the back of a nice Dreyfuss watch. THANKS !
regards
mario

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
The bottom symbol is called a Broad Arrow and was originally used to mark military and other items purchased by the Crown.

The tradition carried on and it still means pretty well the same thing. The "B" I can't help you with.

Google Broad Arrow and you should find what you need.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
thanks, Lorne. Unfortunately the problem is the B 17493, and I'm still in the fog ...
regards

mario

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
There is a way more reading here than I am into today but just over 1/2 way down is a pic of a case with an arrow, number and a B and somewhat of an explanation.

If you are into military timepieces this is a must see.

Link removed due to copyright issues, the information is contained in this book:

"A Concise Guide to Military Timepieces" by Zygmunt M. (Ziggy) Wesolowski

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Hi Lorne. Thanks, I've got : according to the source you kindly gave me, it's a "stand by" pw, and I think that this means that it was used when a G.S. Mk II was not available. This makes sense because it clearly is a watch used on a panel on a vehicle or such, and so when the 'original' one is not available, a 'back up' should be anyway available. Thanks again, good help !
Regards
Mario

IHC Member 478
posted
Hallo friends,
attached you see a few more 'letter codes' of WWI pocket and wrist watches.
There is an F,R E,A,H,K,D,B,Q, C, H, W, S, R...
Though I long searched for a system, I did not find an explanation. With WWII watches it seems easier but not more logically.

. Gruesse/Regards/Salute Konrad Knirim
PS: Have a look at my books on Military Timepieces:
. http://www.knirim.de

Posts: 85 | Location: Duesseldorf Germany | Registered: March 08, 2005
posted
Konrad,

As you probably know, the main WWI British Army pocket watches have a strict allocation of vocab letter to supplier: D Ehrhardt, E White, F Williamson, R/S Elgin, with Q possibly reserved for 'miscellaneous'.

Other WWI pocket watches which are marked R.A. appear to use a different system, which I haven't studied in any depth, but the markings seem to be restricted. (24419 H in your post belongs to this group, even if not marked R.A.)

The WWI wristlets have a strict (but different again) system which is more complicated: I have shown my workings to a few people but I can pass the information on to you if you're interested. I don't publish widely because I believe it would allow convincing fakes of these scarce watches to be produced.

The A, B, K, Q letters in your post are post-WWI I believe.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,

Martin

Posts: 37 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 17, 2010