Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Brietling WWII Chronograph "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
When I bought some estate stuff, this turned up under a lot of rags. Any idea to it's value? There is a good front bezel, I removed it for detail. The case back has been re-done as a "display" cover, and I will be looking for the right kind of back cover.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Signed Dial Detail

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Main Movement, Incredibly accurate!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Movement detial

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sigs

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
more sigs

posted
I am not convinced about the WW II vintage nor about it being a military watch. My thought is it is more likely 1950s or maybe 1960s vintage for the civilian market.

I understand that Breitling (a Swiss company) bought Wakmann (a U.S. company) to get around the post-war U.S. restrictions on importing entirely Swiss-made watches to give American watch companies some breathing room to reestablish themselves in the civilian market after the war since the US makers had pretty much devoted their production efforts to the war. By assembling Brietling parts in the U.S. under their Wakmann front they could sell in the U.S. I also have heard that the WOG marking was the company code they applied to Breitling made movements that were marked as being made by Wakmann. As for the value I have no idea, especially since it is missing its back.

I am still trying to learn more about Wakmann, and find out exactly when the company began and when they started making their aircraft clocks.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Judging from the rest of the stuff, all of this was accumulated during the war in Wisconsin. The son who was in WWII navy had the stuff, and pulled it out of the sttic in respoonse to an ad we put in the paper. His Dad was a watch repairman during WWII and took in a lot of stuff then whic he conveerted to "stock" when it was not picked up. The most recent repair tag was 1948 and soon after that his son "inherited" this and kept it in a box since then.