• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WW1 Correct Time Company Pershing Wrist Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello all my name is Charles Gill I’m a military collector and I recently acquired a WW1 KIA Grouping that was of the soldiers personal effects when he died. Among other things was his Wrist watch. It’s not in the best of shape, it doesn’t run, seconds dial hand is missing, the thing is corroded but also is crystallized from the blood that was never cleaned off the watch. It got into the insides and ultimately what I think made it stop ticking. On the face of the watch it states Correct Time Company USA at the bottom and Pershing in the middle of the face. I tried to find anything related to this company and model of watch but found absolutely nothing. I’m asking you because I see that this forum is filled with watch experts. if anyone perhaps has heard of this company or know anything about the model of the watch what year it is, how it runs, etc please reply to the discussion. My knowledge of watches is equivalent to a peanut so I really do appreciate you helping me out with this. Thanks again and take care everyone!

Posts: 7 | Location: Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 26, 2021
posted
Photo

posted
Photos more

posted
Photos even more

posted
Another photo

posted
It also looks as though the numbers on the watch are painted perhaps in Radium? Maybe this helps with the identification of manufacture or history about it not sure.

posted
Hi. I do not know much but it is not a military watch issued to the soldier, but rather it would have been a private purchase that he would have bought in a local store or maybe a PX or jewelry store before he shipped out or perhaps it might have been a gift from his mom and dad or other family or sweetheart before he shipped out. It is an example of what watch collectors call a "dollar watch" which comes from the fact that this one and all of the others like it were made very cheaply and were and sold in local stores for a dollar. Yours seems to have been designed to appeal to soldiers who may not have had much money to spend and who would not have been eligible to be issued one of the high quality watches that went to certain officers whose position required them having one. The black dial, the radium paint, the very low price, and the name of a famous general (Pershing who commanded the US Army forces in Europe during WW 1) would have been to attract soldiers into buying one for themselves. I have seen one advertisement for a Perfect Watch Company dollar watch that included a reference for them having offices in Duluth, Portland and Spokane. Like most of the dollar watch makers, this company likely did not last long. Do you know if your soldier came from one of those three areas where he might have bought this watch?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hello Jim yes he was from Pendleton, Oregon so this could be perhaps a subcontractor of Perfect Time Company or maybe like a cheap knock off for the time?

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
It's nice to see the original band with your watch. Made of thin leather, WWI watch straps did not survive all that well.

Your watch was most likely made by one of the larger companies, such as Ingraham, Ingersoll, Leonard, etc. If you can pop open the back and take a clear picture we might be able to tell you a little more about who made it and when it was made.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002