Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WWI U-Boat clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi

I have recently seen a supposed World War One German U-Boat clock. It has a brass face & has the well-known makers name 'A.Lange & Sohne' on the clock face.

I can't find any records of Lange & Sohne making u-boat clocks and have a strong feeling it is a fake. However, I also cannot find any replica clocks that are the same either.

It has a picture of a u-boat & the engraving U- 142 on the clock face. This makes me think it is definitely a fake as I understand the original clocks do not have this on.

It does have the engraving of the following number on the rim of the clock; 13026 4-58.

Has anybody come across a similar piece at all or can give any information on it?

Many Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 06, 2014
posted
I'll take a wild guess and say it was made April of 1958.
Interested in seeing other opinions on this.
It would help if you could post pictures of the movement.

Regards,
Mike

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
posted
Can you post some photos?

It sounds from your description to be some kind of tribute to the Great War made for sale to collectors. If you look at this German WW1 ships clocks webpage and look at the third clock from the bottom of the many examples, that is what a U-boat clock should look like. These great examples are from Konrad Knirim's excellent books. If you are interested in German military timepieces or British military timepieces his reference books are an absolute must. You can get them by going to Konrad's very helpful website

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hi,

Thank you both for the quick response.
After some further investigation, I have discovered that the clock casing itself is from a Russian Submarine, from 1958. However, the face looks to have been changed to brass face. I have not had the chance yet to have a look at the actual movements of the clock yet though.

I am having trouble uploading pictures at the moment as they are too big! But will attempt again later today.

Many thanks

Donna

[Image was too large to load]

Posts: 2 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 06, 2014
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Donna,

Extremely large images cannot be viewed by those with slower internet connections or smaller screens. Due to those considerations and to avoid overloading storage capacity our system is set up to not accept poster size images.

Click here: How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks

In there you will find information about sizing your images and posting them on our site.

Click these other links:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

PICASA - EXCELLENT FREE IMAGE PROGRAM

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Donna, If you are on a Mac I can help you with re-sizing pics.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011