• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Japanese Navy Nardin? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, I wonder if anyone can tell me about this Ulysses Nardin Naval chronometer. It appears by the "V" number that it was used by the Japanese Navy per the minimal info in Whitney's.
Sorry for the poor quality of the pics. I lifted them from the auction site.
Thanks for your help, Paul

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
posted
Another

posted
another one

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a gimbal mounted Sweep sec Pocket watch movement. Probably quite accurate but with a flat hairspring it is not in the "Chronometer" category.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thank you for your response David. Maybe I should have better qualified my question about this Nardin Deck Watch to include a request for feedback on the "V572" number on it. The only info I can find seems to be related to the Japanese Navy during WWII.
Thanks, Paul

posted
I do not know except that below is the marking on a Ulysse Nardin that was used by the Japanese Navy. Also, from what minimal information I have seen, the Japanese began making their own naval timepieces starting at the beginning of the war. They were made by Seiko and were basically a copy of the the Ulysse Nardin design. I look forward to learning more if there is anyone here who knows more.

Posts: 871 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Hello Jim,
I am curious as to the lack of any Japanese writing on it and no Japanese "Anchor". I hope someone here will be able to shed some light. I also sent out a request on a German based site that discusses Japanese Military items. It is called "Germanwatch.proboards.com"
Maybe the "V" number has nothing to do with the Japanese Navy. I plan to write Ulysses Nardin to see if they can shed some light.
Thanks, Paul

posted
Hello Jim, I did get a quick response from Nardin however the only information they could give me was that it was made in 1917. They indicated their archives were incomplete.
Paul

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
After many years of collecting Japanese militaria I would expect some form of inspection mark. Some timepieces of the Imperial Navy had ink rubber stamp marks inside the case, which can be easily rubbed off. But something of this age should have a few die stamped markings even if only one or two characters of the individual inspector.

Posts: 1942 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks Greg, I agree with you 100%. I have written back to Nardin and they wrote back indicating they would dig a bit deeper and asked me to be patient.
Paul

posted
Hello,
Got my response from Nardin. The only information added was that the movement was called the "UN 24" for it's size in Lines. A Line is equivalent to 2.256mm. Apparently no other information exists in the Archives of Nardin.
Paul

posted
I would like to thank Willian White for cutting an amazing crystal for this Nardin. William is a true Master at his craft.
Paul

posted
Here are a couple of photos of Mr. White's fabulous work. The glass is a low iron float glass and you can see that it produces a crisp clear bevel edge. This is 74mm X 3.8mm.
Paul

posted
Another view.

posted
Well done Paul
it looks great

Posts: 30 | Location: Queensland in Australia | Registered: May 09, 2013