Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Greg,Here's A Great Story "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
I was surfing looking for some old advertisements for Gallet and stumbled over this.

Reunited After 60 years

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
JIm, You are right. Neat story!!!

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree with Tom, quite a story. Perhaps we might be able to find the original Chicago Tribune article. And then if one of our members could track down the owner Jim Hoel, it would be great to have pictures and additional details.

At this point maybe someone could show us a similar watch.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Lin,
Great idea. see link below. Jim Hoel lives in Indiana. The story was written up in the Chicago Tribune by Lisa Black And Doug Holt, whose biline is listed on the top of the hyperlink you will find below.
I am sure they know how to reach Mr.Hoel.
The story and biline credits

I am PRETTY sure it was a Gallet, thats how I stumbled on to it

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks, Jim. That is one cool story. The man even participated in The Great Escape!

As for the Gallet brand, I think England and Germany issued watches by this brand, in chrome plated cases.

The only thing close to the above story I ever came up with was a large, ripped Nazi flag covered with the signatures and home town names of the Americans who captured it. We found a few of them still alive. No one could remember capturing the flag, but they shared some of their other experiances in WWII with me. I keep my notes and some photographs with the flag.

The Nazi flag, as with the wristwatch, the provenance of an object adds an interesting and human dimension to collecting.

Best regards,

Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Greg,

I have all the info basically on Gallet. They have been around since 1826.Then they fell into the quartz hole with everybody else. But they still makes pieces on a limited basis under the Gallet group.

What I was really looking for was some old Gallet advertising to add to my little web site and a little corporate logo or marque.

As I have been collecting some of these peieces I have added a little history of the company, some old advertising if it can be found and a little corporate logo.

So far on Gallet I have the history, no luck on the logo or the advertising, but I'm patent thats what google is for LOL

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Jim,

There is a long list of Gallet & Cie SA watch model names, a company history and four trademarks in the two volume set, SWISS TIMEPIECE MAKERS by Kathleen Pritchard.

I have a small Gallet pocket chronograph in my collection fitted with a production counting dial.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
I just ordered a set from Borders on line. since I got a very nice gift cert,for xmas, couldn't think of a better use.Glas you reminded me of her books