Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Navy Air, S Pacific, WWII "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
What timepiece would have been "standard issue" in US Navy Air, island hopping through the S Pacific in WW II?

Kenneth Sloan

Posts: 222 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: February 01, 2014
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Kenneth, I would say the Hamilton 4992b.

What part of Alabama are you in? I am down her now visiting my son.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks - I've recently acquired a couple of 4992b's - one nicely held in a US Army "case, carrying" - which would be appropriate for my father in-law. *MY* father was an airplane mechanic in the S Pacific during WW II and I've started to wonder what he might have worn...or saw carried by his pilots.

I'm in Mountain Brook (and UAB in Birmingham) - feel free to poke me at <KennethRSloan@gmail.com> if you are nearby and want to look at the results of my recent extravagances...

Kenneth Sloan

posted
quote:
Hamilton 4992b

Yes, that would be one possibility, but it depends on exactly what kind of timepiece you are thinking about. For example, the aircraft he would have worked on could have had any of several different aircraft clocks in their panels including a Waltham CDIA, or a plain A-11 with Navy markings - these were made by several companies including Waltham, Elgin, Bulova and Wittnauer. Or it could be a 37500 which were jointly made by Elgin and Hamilton. Or the pilots also had simple A-11 wrist watches (this A-11 designation is separate and different from the A-11 aircraft clock designation). And many pilots had their own personal wristwatches that they brought with them or bought privately at local jewelry stores.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Jim has mentioned just about all the possibilities you would have encountered during the war. I was thinking specifically about navigation watches, and having a 4992b it popped in to my mind.

Kenneth, I would like to take you up on your offer some time, my daughter-in law has us on a tight schedule on this trip. My son teaches at the Air Force College and will be stationed here for a few more years,( more visits by us.) I will definitely keep your offer in mind for our next trip.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
I have since acquired a near-twin to the two Hamilton 4992B GCT watches mentioned above - nearly identical until you take off the back cover to reveal an Elgin movement!

Kenneth Sloan