• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

US ARMY AIRCRAFT CONTACTOR UNIT CLOCK "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
If you are a real "military-timepieces-coholic", you will need everytime something new and something else, with no rest and no limits...
You say that you can stop when you want, but watches, stopwatches and clocks will be not enough for you and you will look for other instruments that are related to the military world and the time measure, like bombtimer or similar rare apparate.

This is one of them:

http://www.qsl.net/vk2dym/radio/iff.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...geName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It is a very interesting early IFF instrument based on a clock, named Contactor Unit BC-608, mounted on the USAF cockpits during the 2nd WW.
I think it is very interesting. Isn't it? How rare is it?
What do you think?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Claudio,

Once again... "We learn something new every day." and finding your post is providing information I, for one have never seen before. Thanks for sharing this very, very interesting item.

Let's see what others say about it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Wow! I'm very honoured that our president himself posts here a reply. Really pleased to meet you. Smile

You're right: the technical branch of military timepieces offers very rare and very unknown instruments, that maybe worth to be studied and collected.
It is a very wide sector, expecially if we want to collect even fuses and bomb timers, but it is quite difficult to be explored, too, because almost forgotten.
As you can see seven bids have been made for that auction, so maybe there are some few specialized collectors.
I couldn't leave it, so... I'm waiting for the packet. Big Grin
I will report any other informations as soon as received.
Unfortunately these instruments could risk to be destroyed or definitely lost, if nobody remember what they were used for and I think it is a real pity.
I'm trying to collect those instruments belonged to other armies of the world, too. If it is of any interest, I will post something else from RAF and Luftwaffe.