Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Timepiece for a WW2 Australian Wireless Set "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
It’s more than cold up here in Michigan. So, let’s look at something from someplace warm....like Australia were it’s summer right now.

The items in this image were all produced in Australia during World War II, including the No 2 MK I* service revolver, military markedcigaret lighter and the wireless set timepiece. An unknown number of these watches were produced in Australia during the war. If it is like some of the other Australian made equipment researched, the watch was most likely produced early in WWII before sufficient supplies arrived from England, Canada and the U.S.

The watch was originally made w/o a bow. It was made to be mounted in a plastic holder on the side of a military field wireless set.

Thanks to Chris up in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, (a place even colder than Michigan), I am able to share the following information:

The all brass case was originally finished in black paint.

G.S./W.T. means "General Service/Wireless Telegraphy."

J.W.H./V stands for J.W. Hardie Co., a large and well known firm of jewelers. The "V" means Victoria (Australia), Melbourne.

The “D /|\ D” mark is the Australian Defense Dept. marking, which was applied to nearly everything from boots to helmets.

The 15 jewel Swiss Movement was made by Montilier.

G'day mates!

Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
G'Day Greg,

To add up about the watch it is indeed Swiss made 19''' Montilier Cal. 61. I do not know what were the numbers delivered to Australia's DOD but I have one of these that I bought in Sydney in early seventies, it was 1972 I think, at one of the military surplus stores and paid for it sum of AU $20.

It bears the same broad arrow and markings as your watch with a serial no. 2961 so it would be safe to assume that there were at least 616 watches delivered providing that the series of serial numbers were continual.

Cheers

Dushan

[img]Montilier Cal 61 Dial.JPG[/img]

[img]Montilier Cal 61 Back.JPG[/img]

[img]Montilier Cal 61 Mov.JPG[/img]

Posts: 11 | Location: Belgrade, Serbia | Registered: March 04, 2006
posted
oh, well it was a dud, I wanted to post three images.

posted
And one more showing the movement

posted
Greg,

Sorry about this non-horological query but are you absolutely sure that the cap badge at the top of your photograph is WWII?

Nice bunch of stuff and great watch.

Tim.

PS: Feels like summer here too Big Grin

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Well, here we are three years after this was posted it's winter again in Michigan. Lots of snow outside (again). And again, it's a good time to think about places like Australia.

Dushan:

Thanks for the images. You have an excellent example of the Australian Wireless Set timepiece.

With any luck, maybe we can get some additional serial numbers and start a data base.

Tim:

Right you are about the cap badge. If I had been paying attention, I would have noted that it was a plated badge with an Elizabeth II Queen's crown at the top, instead of a King's crown. Thus, it can be no older than the 1950's. Looking again at the rest of the stuff in the image, I'm confident that non of it is post 1945.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002