• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rub a dub dub "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
At long last, my (first) Hamilton Mod. 22 (in gimbals) is all serviced and ready to come home. In the meantime, I bought another... at the National... that is US Army marked, in both outer and inner boxes and pristine.

The chronograph is in great shape and is keeping time to 18/1000's of a second, per day. The box is truly excellent.... so much so that I suspected that it was aftermarket until I bought my 2nd one and compared. I am now about 99% convinced that the wood-box is genuine.

This one came with the aluminum tub for the movement. The tub is in ok shape... used, but still with the label on the side (that demonstrates how to transport the movement.

Because of it's size, I will probably find a place to display this chrono. Storing the tub will be a problem as it doesn't "present" as something that should be exhibited.

I'm inclined to consider selling it.... unless, I'm told that it is truly important to this piece. Does anyone know the value of these tubs and whether they are considered essential for a collector?

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Peter,

I would hang on to the tub. Little things like that enhance the total value of the collection. Otherwise, I don't know what sort of value they have.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
For values keep an eye on Ebay as I sometimes see tubs and boxes for sale there without the watches. I agree with Greg, though, that you should hang onto the tub, especially if you have reason to believe it is original to this particular watch.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
You military collectors can correct me if I'm wrong but.... what I heard was that when the chono needed service, they just pulled the whole movement and exchanged it for a newly serviced one. The movements were sent to another department (private or military?) where they were cleaned and serviced. As a side note, I was told that each serviced unit received a brand-new balance-complete... but I can't confirm that!

In that respect, I guess the tubs would have been used on many different movements and might not be original to any particular movement.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Peter,

Your information is basically correct. To expand some...

There were three different levels of repair: Unit level (Battalion or Regiment), Organizational (usually an Army Division), and Depot. Unit level didn't repair watches at all. If it was an expendable item (drop-accountable) the supply sergeant could throw it away and issue another, like many of the watches. The later watches that say "Rad Waste" had to be accounted for and sent to a special disposal unit.

Organizational maintenance would do minor repairs or "black box" repairs where they would take out a movement and replace it with a working one. Depot level maintenance was at one site and that's where real watchmakers would fix things or send it back to the manufacturer for overhaul or replacement (per the contract). It could literally takes years for something to go through the system and get back to the unit (although they could get replacements, but then that was something else on their books).

The particulars of who fixed what, when and where changed over the years because of need, contracts, etc. Depot level once had an adjunct called "General Maintenance". When you're looking at Army publications they're referred to as FM's (Field Manuals), TM's (Training Manual's), TC's (Training Circulars), the infamous LO's (Lube Orders), plus others that I've forgotten. FM's are usually for unit use, TM's for Organizational or Depot level.

I was a supply officer a long time ago and I've tried to flush all knowledge of such things from my brain. Unfortunately there are the recalcitrant bits that refuse to be dislodged.

Frank "407"

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004