WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Italian airforce jet pilot chrono chronograph, Zenith "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,
for Whom who have never seen an official Italian airforce chronograph this post will present a watch that was introduced into service in the early '70 when the F104 Starfighter became the backbone of the Service.
It is based on the Zenith cal 146 movement, special version DP, no flyback, with weightless balance wheel and glycidur hairspring and Incabloc antichoc.
The black dial bears the Zenith star and logo in white on top part and opposite the official supplier's name A. Cairelli, Rome
The h/m/s luminous hands largely abunded of tritium and some watches still brightly spark at night nowdays and even in the daylight and same as dial's figures.
Subsidiary counters at 3 and 9 are large and easily readable.
A large crown with the Zenith logo , 4 points star, and large and easily operating pushers were fitted on the stainless steel case of considable dimensions itself, 2'1/8 , 42 mm diametre across the turning black bezel with tritium pointer.
The screw back with 6 periferical notches was fitted with a rubber seal for tightness, in the centre
A.M.I.
CRONOMETRO
TIPO CP-2
M.M. 201600
engraved for identification and logistic requirements.
A brass nickel-plated dust cup added protection to movement.
Watch was assigned to pilot as personal consignement and cared until servicing required.
Two thousands of watches was delivered to Service and a nato stock number was assigned.
One of these watches is displayied in the Zenith Museum, Le Locle, Switzerland.
The Zenith/Cairelli entered service together with a similar model made by Leonidas and substituted the smaller CP-1 Leonidas.
At the early '80 the CP-2's were substituded by the more efficient Heuer/Lemania 5100.
Tnks

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thanks, Enzo, that is one sharp looking chrono! I never saw one before. It's a double pleasure that you have done research and know the history of this fine watch. If one showed up for sale, I would not have known what it was (though I would want it anyway).

What do the markings on the back stand for?

By the way, do you have any information about Italian aircraft clocks of the 1914-1918 era?

Thanks again,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Enzo,
That's a nice watch. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Ciao,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
Hallo evbdy,

thanks for your interest and soon I will post some other!

rgds

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005