WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Military Timepiece Discussions - EXCLUSIVE!    Wittnauer-Longines Greenwich Sidereal Time(Longines Cal. 24.41) To continue ...
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wittnauer-Longines Greenwich Sidereal Time(Longines Cal. 24.41) To continue ... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Wittnauer-Longines Greenwich Sidereal Time(Longines Cal. 24.41)

I am looking for any information about this watch.

I am looking for any information about this watch.
Please, help me with finding information

Posts: 33 | Location: Russian Federation | Registered: April 11, 2013
IHC Life Member
posted
Great photos and very cool time piece. Unfortunately I can't offer anything except my appreciation for it.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Sidereal timepieces are built to run faster than a standard timepiece, by 3 minutes and 56.6 seconds. If you or someone is going to service it, this needs to be accounted for when adjusting it. The reason for this has to do with the time it takes for the stars to appear to move around the earth.

I do not recognize this watch but that does not mean much as I do not specialize in these kinds of timepieces.

My first thought though, is I wonder if this is a military timepiece as opposed to a civilian scientific use one. My reason for wondering is I do not see any military markings of any kind. Militaries were pretty careful about marking their timepieces since they were so easily snatched and could be sold quickly. Also, they represented a fair investment to the military and all militaries were pretty careful about inventory control and knowing where all of their equipment was.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is an 8 day Longines listed on Pg. 525 of the guide. The value is purely speculative and is probably more important to the collector than the market.

These could be used in Celestial Observatories and are listed and being manufactured in the 1930's.

It appears there is some kind of very crude "Hack" device leaning on the Balance Wheel.
This one being cased for a panel mount was open to many Scientific uses.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Great thanks for information and comments.
I'm not have "guide" and can't read pg.525. (I plan to purchase the next edition of this guide.)
What is write on this page? What is value?

Photo below from Longines museum:

posted
To continue this topic. Wink

Enrolled in a semiconscious state. After some resuscitation continue to live a normal life.
Smile

I beg to express their opinion - where this device was used?

Thanks for your opinion.

posted
I looked around on the internet and found this pair of watches - one for GMT and the other for regular time. They were listed as being for use in an observatory which makes sense to me. In your last photo you show your GMT watch with a regular time watch. Do you have both in your collection now? I also notice that your regular time watch seems to be of a slightly different size. Is this just the way it looks in the photo or are they two different sizes? Do your watches have serial numbers that are very close together like the pair on the webpage that I found?

Also, is there a reason why you have used a photo of a Zeppelin as the background image for your watch? Everthing I have seen from the Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-Aktiengesellschaft (DELAG) and the later Deutsche Zeppelin-Reederei (DZR) has been marked with their company name and emblem.

Here is the text and image from the webpage I found:

Longines Watch Co., Swiss, No. 4708852 and 4708855, circa 1940

Longines Watch Co., Swiss, No. 4708852 and 4708855, circa 1940. Fine and rare pair of eight day-going keyless observatory stop watches with 192 hour power reserve indicators, respectively for Greenwich sidereal time and civil time, both in mahogany fitted box, the glazed lid with sliding panel.

CHF 12 000 - 14 000

Three piece, nickel plated, each with body and back in recess to the dial and bezel. Frosted silver, 24 hours, each with alternated black and red Arabic numerals, sunk subsidiary seconds and up-and-down scale. Blued-steel "spade" hands. M. 23"', respectively adjusted for civil and sidereal time, rhodium plated, "fausses cotes" decoration, 17 jewels, straight line lever escapement, cut bimetallic balance adjusted to temperatures and two positions, Breguet balance spring. Stop slides on the bands. Diam. 76 mm.

posted
quote:
Do you have both in your collection now?

Yes, I have both watches in my collection.
Watches waith different sizes.
Please, see pictures below ...

Background picture (taken from the internet - open source) - it's just a background picture ...

quote:
Also, is there a reason why you have used a photo of a Zeppelin as the background image for your watch? Everthing I have seen from the Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-Aktiengesellschaft (DELAG) and the later Deutsche Zeppelin-Reederei (DZR) has been marked with their company name and emblem.

Honestly - do not understand the meaning of this question.

Picture with "Graff Zeppelin" without any company name and emblem

In any case, all Zeppelin and photos with Zeppelin belong to their owners.
Wink

posted
I was asking why you used the photos of the Graf Zeppelin, also known as the LZ-127, as the background for your watches? They are very nice photos, but they are not related to your watches. The Graf Zeppelin was owned and operated by a German company known as DELAG which later changed its name to DZR. This company always put their emblem and name on their property.

posted
quote:
Here is the text and image from the webpage I found:

Why when placing the information you do not specify a link to the source Antiquorum dot com? You are presented this picture without belonging to the site.

I always thought that this forum is to exchange information about watches, and in this forum thread of information on military watches, but I never thought that this forum is for discuss the background on which photographed watches ...

Sorry for my English - I use Google-Translate.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Cool photo and watches.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010