WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just got this type L-1 wrist compass goes good with my Waltham A-17 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

Just got this last week end at the Alameda Point antique fair it's a type L-1 wrist compass it goes good with my waltham A-17 from other forums and what I was told by Billy it's was Air Force made in the 1950's and was part of the pilots sirvival gear when I was in special boat unit IX we were tought E & E escape and evasion the same is tought to pilots so I guess if the pilot crashed behind enemy line's he would use this compass and a map to find the rally points that the spot you would be picked up by the good guys.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Thank you for the images of your compass. I don't know what the vintage of the L-1 is, though it's interesting the way it has the window in the side.

The type L-1 would have been a much better compass if it was made with some way to lock the compass needle/disk. Because it has no locking lever it tends to rattle, making unwanted noise and possible damage to the needle.

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Greg
On another forum there was a guy that was in SAC US Air Force from 1966-1970 they had these L-1 in the life raft survival packs on KC-135 aircraft.And also at the same forum some one had one with the original box dated 1951 so they were used from 1950's to the 1960's is my guess.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008