Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham A-17, Years of Manufacture? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello friends,
Between what years did Waltham manufacture their A-17. I had thought it was exclusively made for and during WWII but have recently read it may have been much longer.

Thank-you, it is a pleasure being a part of this forum. Russ

Russ Martin

Posts: 5 | Location: Orlando, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 12, 2005
posted
Hello
To the Korean War at least
and I think maybe as late
as 1956 or 57.

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
Thank-you Anthony for your kind reply.

When did the first A-17's come out?

Also, do all A-17's have a radium dial?

Thank-you, Russ

Russ Martin

posted
You are Welcome, I just hope I am right Smile
I do not know when the first Waltham A-17 was made. I do not think the Specification that was A-17 existed before November 1940 so I would guess not before that date . I think that Watches in supply made before that date but that met the spec could have A-17 added to existing engravings and yes I believe A-17 called for a "luminous dial" as well as a seconds setable (hack) movement .

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
I would like to know the dates as well, from the starting point to the ending point. My understanding has always been that A-17 wrist watches are not WW II in age, that they came afterwards - around the time of the Korean War and later. If you can tell us the serial number on the movement (not the one on the back of the case) we can help you narrow down the year your particular watch would have been made. Also, some clear photos would be a help as well, front, back and movement.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
Thank-you Jim,

Actually I do not have a particular watch in mind, I just like the size and look of the A-17. To me it is a better looking watch for daily wear than the A-11 for instance.

I would like a WWII watch and want to know if this watch was common in the early '40's or more commonly seen in the late '40's (post-war).

I would also like to know if the luminescence was exclusively radium or if other non-radioactive elements may have been used (a concern to me for daily wear).

Thank-you all, Russ

Russ Martin

posted
Now those question can truly fill a book, there are so many great watches out there I really do not know where to start.May I suggest that you go to this sites main page and join and also get "Cooksey Shugart's Complete Guide to watches at the same time.

As far as the risk from the radium in old watches to be blunt there is no such thing as a safe amount of radiation,it is all acceptable risk vs need . I have a gamma chirper left over from my military days that will go absolutely bonkers near some old walthams and those watches I keep separate and no I would not want to go to sleep with one on and wake up with it under my face or my wife's side but I consider it an acceptable risk to wear some of them from time to time whenever the mood strikes me without worrying about it.

If you are worried you could have the dial and hands replaced or just avoid models using radium . Some of the hottest old radium dial watches from WW2 have already been so damaged as to be unreadable thereby removing themselves from daily use .

And if a radium dial or hands no longer glow that does not mean they are no longer
radioactive, only that the chemicals in the paint that reacted with the radium to create light has decayed too far to do so anymore. The radium itself is as hot as the day it was mined and will still be hot 1000 years from now. Most new watches use non radioactive materials except for tritium which is really to nothing to worry about unless you like chewing on dials .

posted
A P.S.,
You should goggle "dial painters" and "radium girls". There are sad and horrible stories attached to radium dials that are seldom heard outside watch circles.Learn first and then always be very careful with old radium watches if you intend to work on them .