Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

German Watch Protectors "Click" to Login or Register 
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Many pressed sheet metal watch protectors were made in Germany. Most of those found today are rather ordinary, with an occasional maker’s mark and size number found on the back.

These two watch protectors appear to have been made for private purchase at the time WWI started (1914). The larger one encases the entire watch, including the crown, while the crown is exposed on the other model. One of them is nickle plated steel, while the other still has the remains of military color gray-green paint upon it. The die struck patriotic coat of arms is the same on each, indicating that these were made in the same year by the same company.

The "Bravo" trade mark is rather common on this type of watch protector, most of which have nothing pressed into the back.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Hi Greg, Thought I'd post a pic of mine. Mine is the plain, gunmetal with a plastic crystal, but what makes mine a little different is the watch paper that is enclosed. The German "Kriegseinlage" literally translated says "war enclosure", but loosely translated would be military protector.

Tom

posted
these are great guys, thanks for sharing...

i had some images of the Ajax protectors in a recent bulletin article...

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Two more: To the left is a stop watch marked for the Luftwaffe, R.L.M. (Reich Luft Ministerium). To the right is an unmarked Junghans. These two are of WWII vintage. These watch protectors were issued by Germany with these stop watches, although neither one of the protectors have military markings.

Posts: 1948 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Greg C.,
I enjoy reading all your posts as you always have very interesting bits of info. to share!
Your "German metal based watch protectors" are no exception as they are quite unusual indeed. Thanks for sharing!
I look forward to more posts from you!

Tom H.,
Enjoyed viewing your protector as well! Interesting!

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003