Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wooden box to 3992B? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi!
I have seen this kind of box three or four times with the 3992B in it. The 3992B that I have seen is of the English broad arrow type (Nato dial or, as in this auction, the 12 hour broad arrow dial. A few weeks ago I bought a box like this from a freind. I´m very happy about it because I think my "nato dialed" 3992B looks great in it. No picture yet, sorry.
The question is if this kind of box is original to these (English) 3992B:s?
Thanks!
/Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Those I have examined were Navy issue and numbered to the watch. I don't know if the RAF used them or not - but I would tend to think this auction is for an RAF watch in a Royal Navy box.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1988 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
Thanks Greg!
The one I have does not seems to be numbered at all. Were does these number use to appear on these boxes?
/Bernhard

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I wish I could remember, Bernhard. The last one I had was years ago - it was an Elgin deck watch with a broad arrow dial. I think the issue number on the back of the watch case was stamped upon the outside of the wooden box.

It's my understanding that these watches were boxed up like this for protection as they were taken out on deck for navigational sightings with a sextent.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1988 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
posted
some pictures

posted
nr 2

posted
No number on mine:

3992B

Posts: 27 | Location: Warrington, in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 08, 2002
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Some excellent Hamiltons. It is amazing how long these fine watches were kept in service. Or is it possible the UK purchased new Hamilton navigation watches after 1945?

Thanks,
Greg